The end of analog

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: The end of analog

You can say that again!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Retired wrote:

I knew the change to digital would affect me sooner than later. I am retired, on a fixed income and live alone. I have a digital box on the tv in my family room for most of my viewing. I have a small tv in the kitchen for the morning and dinner time news. I just lost those channels today. My parents are also retired and are quite distressed...not by the changes...but by the fact that there is yet another fee to have the "kitchen countertop" tv functional (another adapter). How I wish there was a way to prove that a one individual household can only watch one tv at a time!!! Maybe this is something Rogers can monitor and then charge for multiple outlet usage!?

I would contact rogers, and see if the DTA is still available.. i thought they were cuttting it off, but the page is still there.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=DTA_ORDER&_nfls=true&setLanguage=en&_f...

For well over a year + there were annoucements about it, in the bill details and elsewhere.  These were free replacement BASIC digital boxes, in which you would get the equivelent channels usually of Analog.

See if you can get them (hopefully for free still)..  Its the easiest way, without having to go full blown digital boxes.

As for the outlets.. its been a discussion for a long time.. and something that many people did not know about.
Very few people were aware, with analog even only.. depending on your package, you were only allowe X many supported outlets.
Now, with analog, there was no real way to enforce this.. you could easily split it and gain extra.. signal playing less of a big deal with analog, etc.  BUT, you still only had a supported X many outlets.  If you had an issue and rogers had to come in and fix.. they could choose to NOT help with any support beyond those X many outlets.
That its gone over to digital.. its a little more easy to control for them 😞
Many people found, that with their BASIC packages, that they were only supported for one outlet.. and having to pay for more 😞

MY opinion?  There should not be an outlet restriction.
Yes, have the normal, if the splits, etc are not done by rogers to ensure signal level is good, etc, you could pay for the tech visit.. but otherwise should not be a restriction.
GENERALLY because they are then making the money, off of the additional box rentals.
(though, often a household which may watch TV that much in that many rooms, may have the higher packages anyways, which INCLUDE many more outlets to start)

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

As far as digital adapters are concerned, you need to have a cable outlet registered on your account without any digital box on it. On our side we have virtual outlets, which basically act as placeholders for the equipment. So if your account has four outlets registered, and you have a PVR on the first but nothing on the other three, that would qualify you for the adapters on the other three outlets because you would only have analog.

However if your extra outlets come from splitting the signal and we don't have you registered for any additional outlets, then you have to get at minimum the SD terminal which is $5.49/month. Not to mention unless you have higher then basic you'll be charged $7.49/month to have the extra outlets active on the account.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@lockdown2341 But, at a bare minimum, if you have basic cable and just one outlet, and can no longer watch TV because it's now all digital, you'd qualify for a free digital adapter at no extra charge, monthly or otherwise. Right?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Correct. If you only have one outlet with no box attached to it, then you can get the free adapter. That's primarily the types of customers who would've been notified of the change originally.

The charges would only come with additional outlets or rental of additional equipment.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm guessing many customers with just one TV could still be on paper billing and may have missed the notice about going digital and the digital adapters in the small print at the end of their bills.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

It's entirely possible, yes. I'm certain they would notice once the analog channels stop working though.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

So, if we have a TV that was directly hooked up to the cable cord, but already have an adapter (supplied by Rogers) hooked up to a different TV in another room, are you saying that I can pay extra for another outlet and then get an adapter?

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

If the outlet that corresponds to your cable cord going to the TV is on your account yes. If it is an outlet that was not personally installed by ROGERS, you're most likely not paying for it already and wouldn't be able to get an adapter.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Whats going on with Rogers cable TV?????? I have been on Twitter and DM..a waste of time with no real answers or reasons.! On candianoutages.com there are plenty of people with same problems..a Twitter rep told me they SOMETIMES post outages..where???   Its been 3 days no cable..its not the TV,its not the box or modem...its Rogers signal failure..Im sick of watching FISH TANKS for 3 days...

**Edited Lables**