The Search Function on the 8300HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The Search Function on the 8300HD

Is anyone else out there bothered by the terrible search function on Rogers? If you had to search in Google limited to the first letter only and then scrolling through lists alphabetically, you wouldn't use it. The Bell system allows the user to enter the full name and it brings up every listing for the next 2 weeks. This is my only complaint for Rogers, but it is one that should be addressed so call in and complain.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: The Search Function on the 8300HD

Hello Bruce,

8300HD currently supports a much more capable search function through the Quick Start Menu (QSM).

You can access QSM by pressing the Guide button twice on your Rogers Remote.

If you have any trouble accessing QSM, please click here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you talking about the search function found on www.rogers.com?

If this is infact the search bar your talking about its quite simple to explain...Its not Google!  Its probably just a simple HTML or Java search function designed for simple site searches nothing to elaborate.  Why not just use Google or a Wiki to see if they can help you with the information or call customer service.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What I'm talking about is the search function in Rogers guide when you're looking for a program. It has nothing to do with Google ..... that reference was an illustration of just how bad the Rogers search function is. I have talked to Rogers about this and no one can tell me anything about it.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I believe the search function on 8300HD is part of the software which is developed by Cisco specifically for there hardware and not the provider.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You are correct. Rogers should outline this defect with Cisco and have them correct it. This shouldn't be a difficult fix.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The software is a combination of Rogers and Scientific Atlanta. Cisco is now also a player in the game.

Rogers has said they are working on software upgrades that should be out soon. I thought they would be out already but I think they've run into compatibility issues now since they have to support 2 different hardware manufacturers..

Check out Rogers Red Board for more information on this stuff..
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This has been one of my greatest annoyances with the Rogers user interface.  It's not that the search function is terrible, it's that there is no search function on Rogers program guide!!

What they have, and what Bruce correctly notes, is actually a "BROWSE" function.  Say you know the name of a new show you want to watch, but you have no idea when it's on.  You'd think, a high tech piece of equipment like a Digital Video Recorder, capable of recording two shows while watching a third, capable of receiving and recording high definition video and 5.1 surround sound would allow you to simply input the show's name and find where and when it is aired.  But nope!  Go to Monday, scroll to the first letter of the show, then scroll through every occurrence of every show that also begins with that letter and hope you find it.  Good luck if your show begins with "N" and you have to scroll through dozens upon dozens of "News" listings.

Can't find it?  Does that mean it's not airing on Rogers cable?  Nope.  Just means your bloody stumps of fingers after hundreds of button presses has only gotten you through one day.  Now, go to Tuesday, again, scroll to the first letter of the show, and repeat the whole process over again.  You have to do this again and again for each day of the week until, hopefully, you stumble across the show.

Now yes, I can go look it up on some internet TV guide, but honestly, should I have to?  It's beyond imagination that it appears this latest firmware update does nothing to address this.  I hope I'm wrong (as I still don't have it) but from what I've read, I've seen no mention of it.

Sorry for the rant, but will we ever see a simple search function in the Rogers on-screen program guide?!!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is supposed to someday have a search function, but remember Rogers uses software from the early 1980's.... it may be written in Assembly language or even Cobalt! its going to take a while for them to 'upgrade' to this new thing called 'search'. They don't have the likes of Google or Apple employees to solve the very very complex problems like 'search'. Search is still pretty new and requires extensive rocket science. From what I heard we might see something by 2015 if we are lucky. I'm hoping the new 'upgrade' will also solve the other basic feature called 'Record the whole show in its entirety' which will use sophisticated time management software. This is another very very complex piece of software which will actually 'watch the clock' and record the show from the beginning right through to the end without losing the last 5 minutes! I know they are still hiring the team to tackle the problem so don't hold your breath.

The reality is that we will all have long gave up on them catching up to '1990', forget about 2011! and we'll all be watching via the web anyways.

We have a variety of Rogers 'boxes', its mind boggling how sllllooow they are to even bring up the guide, or 'surf' one channel at a time, and whats with no search! I can't believe the general public has let them get away with this.  I'd swear I was using equipment from 1980 trying to run XP or something. Definately their days are numbered... end of rant lol

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The quickstart will have a search coming soon.  I wish i could have a search without the quick start.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello Bruce,

8300HD currently supports a much more capable search function through the Quick Start Menu (QSM).

You can access QSM by pressing the Guide button twice on your Rogers Remote.

If you have any trouble accessing QSM, please click here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post