cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Guide

KMC
I've Been Around

If there is one thing about Rogers TV service that makes me consider switching to another provider, it is the guide.

I know that the technology exists, so please tell me why I can't view only the channels that I have subscribed to?

I recently changed my channel package to the very basic programming, mainly because I don't have the time or patience to scroll through hundreds of channels, guessing which ones I might actually have.

I now know that if I stay within the 100's I will probably be lucky.

Can someone at Rogers please make it a priority to further develop the Guide program - so that subscribers can opt only to see the channels that they receive?

A second great option would be the ability to great several favourite lists, so that each member of a household can choose their favourite channels and then quickly scroll through the list to find a program.

As I recall, Bell has had these features for at least the last 6-7 years...

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: The Guide

I agree, they should not have sent a technician for an incorrect tv guide listings. They should have opened a ticket instead with technical support and forwarded it to the correct group.

As for the guide data being screwed up, it may or may not be rodgers fault.

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

pearl61
I Plan to Stick Around
I could not agree more. Not just the technology is outdated, also the look and feel is very old fashioned. Not just to some Canadian competitors, but also to guides that are offered in the USA and Europe, where the option of having several Favourites list is standard for many years now. First small step might be to change to a 16:9 format.

dreamer
I've Been Around

I agree that the guide is very frustrating and would switch because of it. It's slow and it skips, taking forever to navigate. I would also like to see only the items which I have subscribed, which would make the guide more efficient.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@KMC, @pearl61, @deamer

Thanks for the comments and suggestions on Rogers guide, I will pass them on! 

Please keep in mind, our community forums were created as a place where customer can go to discuss technical questions.

See you in the community 🙂

dbrown20191
I Plan to Stick Around

RogersErin,  kindly add my name to @KMC, @pearl61 and @deamer regarding the question as to why technically Rogers TV customers don't  have a guide indicating only those stations that they're subscribing too. It's irritating when one has to wade through so many stations only to select one that's not authorized. 

RogersErin

@dbrown20191

Will do

michelleret
I've Been Here Awhile

The new Rogers guide update has me more frustrated than ever. The font is tiny and the guide loads even more slowly than before. On top of that, the guide cannot be accessed if I'm recording 2 shows simultaneously. This is completely ridiculous! Is there any way to switch back to the old guide? Even that was better than this mess...

sjm1958
I've Been Here Awhile

I almost changed to Bell's Fibe TV recently, but was saved only by Roger's cutting my bill by $100/mth, and one of the major reasons was the guide. Bell supports much more detail of the program in the descrition, they show 10 days of programming (whereas Roger's only provides 7), the ability to search for a program by title or actor, to be able to search all 10 days of lisitngs, not just the day your in and to be able to enter more than the first letter of the title, actor....

I'm commited with Roger's for a year but unless they listen to their customers and provide these user friendly features I will be changing providers.

Jeffrey
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hello KMC,

In regards to your original question, a recent update to the guide has added a feature to help with distinguishing between channels you subscribe to and channels that you do not subscribe to.

• Channels that you subscribe to are displayed in Purple
  • Channels that you do not subscribe to are displayed in Grey
  • When channel surfing using the CH+ button, channels that you do not subscribe to will automatically be skipped

A favourites list is a great idea. Have you tried out the Quick Start Menu that was launched a few months ago? It's got some neat features that you might enjoy.

-Jeffrey

ccrashh
I'm an Enthusiast

"A favourites list is a great idea. Have you tried out the Quick Start Menu that was launched a few months ago? It's got some neat features that you might enjoy."

Really?  Like what?  Everyone I know skips it entirely.  I have it loaded second, so I don't even see it.  What "features" are there for the user and not the Advertiser?

Hi ccrashh!

The Quick Start Menu has a lot of features & new ones are continually being added. Best bet is to try it out for your self and discover what it can do for you. I really like the mix. You can watch 6  sports games on one screen and easily toggle between which screen plays audio. There is also a news & kids programming mix.

You can set up a "My Favourites List"

There are currently 4 games you can play using your remote.

• Bubble Shooter
  • Jungle Legends
  • Mahjongg
  • Wonder Gear

There is a weather app/widget

Easier access to Rogers on Demand themes...

Self Service, which makes troubleshooting  the digital box simpler.

You can even access the TV Call Display options!

A search function is coming very soon!

I'll admit that I usually know which channel & show I want and I just want to get there, but this guide is there for when I want to interact with the digital box... and The Mix is a life saver when several of my favourite sports teams are playing...

-Jeffrey

RogersErin

Thanks for the tips Jeffrey!

kks
I've Been Here Awhile

i tried the ch+ and ch- and it shows the next channel i can access but the guide info doesn't change? i have no idea what channel it is previewing?

I agree with the other comments - i love many things about rogers but i *HATE* the ipg that i have to see and scroll through all the channels i do not subscribe especially when jumping from the 0-100 to the 500+. it is frustrating to the max to try and find things we might want to watch. i can live with 7 days out but with bell you could customize what channels you want to see in the guide and if you really want to switch to see all the others then you could easily switch to see all.

i thought the favorites might have been the solution so i started entering every channel we subscribed to but it only lists the channels there is no guide to see what is on and what is coming up. it is the coming up part that is really important to us.

please can we do this before all these other features that we rarely use are improved?

dbrown20191
I Plan to Stick Around

Jeffrey, I tried the new (2 colour) option that displays subscribed stations on the menu but it doesn't work. After pressing "okay" the guide colours don't differentiate between subscribed and unsubscribed channels.   please advise.

Hello dbrown20191,

I may have given some misleading information, it turns out that only High Defintion PVRs are able to use this function. I'm sorry I didn't reveal this in my earlier post. So assuming you have a standard digital box or a non PVR high defintion box then the Grey/Purple list will not operate, my apologies.

I believe there is another update being worked on so that this function works on all boxes, but I do not know of any timelines.

-Jeffrey

dbrown20191
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks for the clarification Jeffrey. Hopefully it will be upgraded soon. For me the silver lining in your post was that the channel up and down on my remote only displays those channels that I subscribe to. A step forward.
Regards.

if you press guide, then up/down it shows all channels even unsubscribed ones, however if you are on a chanel and press the up/down, it skips the non-subscribed ones and only shows you the subscribed ones in the information bar on the bottom. how do you guys browse channels? have you even tried this way?

dbrown20191
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again Jeffrey. I tried both the multiple screen toggling and the Favourites list and was most impressed with your advice.  It's expert support such as yours that exemplifies good customer service.  Man Happy

RogersErin

Thanks for helping out Jeffrey.

isn't that funny, because up until a few days i had the most basic box, and there were no distinctions in the guide.  everything was teh same color, no greyed out areas for what you don't subscribe to. also when you channeled up/down,. you were faced with not authorized screens.

now a couple of days ago i got my HD box, and i noticed the greyed out areas of the guide.  that's VERY helpful, but i wonder why regular digital customers get effed out of such a basic feature.

i have assumed that channelup/down took you through a slew of not authorized screens like it did with the basic box.

now that you say it is supposed to actually skip channels that aren't subscribed to, i will have to test it out./

you should clarify tho, not all boxes are the same, and the ppl who are still paying a hefty price for the basic digital or VIp will still get screwed when it comes to such basic channel surfing features.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@nisiepie the feature of the greyed out channels should have been pushed to all of the boxes in the latest firmware push..
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!