Texting from the USA to Canada

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Texting from the USA to Canada

Hello Hockey821

No need to bring old & already answered threads alive. Gdkitty already answered the question the same way you just did....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya i know.. Just would like to expand on it lol.. i didnt see it was a old thread as it was on the right side on most liked threads.. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hockey821

Its alright.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The travel packs are very unreliable at best - I put a travel pack on - monitored my data usage and although I DID NOT go over - I was charged an additional 300$ in data overage charges - and rogers has no explanation for me - other then I went over - but my phone usage monitor says I didn't - I even had my cellular data OFF
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

there's another possibility - handsets can be hard to control; you'll see posts on many different forums where people complain about data traffic going through despite restricted permission settings; there are so many parasitic apps and sometimes questionable hardware setup (especially on Android devices) that OS need to start integrating some sort of robust firewalls 🙂 NSA might not support that idea though
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

your package would be sent to use FROM CANADA not allowing 100 sent from us... 

But if you only sent 100 from canada to  the US.  Then i would call and dispute for sure! 

Highlighted

Make sure roaming is off when you are not using it - data can occur by apps with out being aware... Set email to load manually to advoid it from always searching for new mail. Also make sure all app are closed.

My best advise is Keep Data and Roaming off when not using... even better keep phone off!

Highlighted

Smiley FrustratedSorry my post didn't make sense.  I ment to say

your package would be for sending 100 text  FROM CANADA TO THE US ...  This package would not include any text sent from outside of canda.  When outside of canada an add on is required to cover usage.  

If you sent less then 100 text from within canada and still were charged then i would call.  I believe once the 100 are exceeded its around 25 cent for each text to the us. 

oops

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hiya,

I've been traveling in the US for work over the last couple months.  One thing I can definitely say, get on the rewards program for starters!  They have a reward you can turn in at 1500 points.  If you are already registered for the rewards program, but haven't used it yet, login to see what your balance it at.  If you have enough, i1500 reward points for the US Travel pack includes 40 talk minutes and unlimited texts.  It does not, however cover any data usage. If you don't have enough points, then see if they have any survey's.  I got 1000 or 1500 for my first survey that I took, which covered my first travel pack redemption right off the bat.  But... They only had the one survey available at the time and I have not seen any new ones since.

Now, if you are willing to pay for a package, there are 2 plans I know of.  The first is a $40 plan which includes 50 talk minutes, unlimited texting (to and from Canada and the US) as well as 200MB of data. 

The second plan is for $80 and includes: 100 talk minutes, unlimited texts (US/Canada) and 500mb of data.

To my knowledge, these are the only travel packs currently avaialble.  Although, they have a travel pack for $40 that's just talk and text only, no data as well (100 talk minutes, unlimited texts, no data coverage).  But if you can get the package with data for the same price, may as well, right?

I hope this helps!  Have a safe trip!

Updated Solution

Hey all!!! Rogers has now implemented a great new way for customers to use your phone in the USA as if you were home in Canada. So talk and text while in the USA like you are back home in Canada. All you need is a Share Everything Plan then   text Travel to 222 to enroll. Please click the link below for more details

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/travel

View solution in original post