cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting from the USA to Canada

isitin
I've Been Around

Just a quick question. I am travelling to the USA next week. I only have free texting here in Canada. I am using my Iphone 4S. Can I text back to Canada for free using my WiFi from my hotel room. Can I use my regular messaging from my phone or am I going to get charged for the text messages. Just trying to find a way to avoid texting charges from the USA to Canada. Any help would be great.

******* Edit labels ********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Texting from the USA to Canada

JesLaPointe13
I've Been Here Awhile

Hiya,

I've been traveling in the US for work over the last couple months.  One thing I can definitely say, get on the rewards program for starters!  They have a reward you can turn in at 1500 points.  If you are already registered for the rewards program, but haven't used it yet, login to see what your balance it at.  If you have enough, i1500 reward points for the US Travel pack includes 40 talk minutes and unlimited texts.  It does not, however cover any data usage. If you don't have enough points, then see if they have any survey's.  I got 1000 or 1500 for my first survey that I took, which covered my first travel pack redemption right off the bat.  But... They only had the one survey available at the time and I have not seen any new ones since.

Now, if you are willing to pay for a package, there are 2 plans I know of.  The first is a $40 plan which includes 50 talk minutes, unlimited texting (to and from Canada and the US) as well as 200MB of data. 

The second plan is for $80 and includes: 100 talk minutes, unlimited texts (US/Canada) and 500mb of data.

To my knowledge, these are the only travel packs currently avaialble.  Although, they have a travel pack for $40 that's just talk and text only, no data as well (100 talk minutes, unlimited texts, no data coverage).  But if you can get the package with data for the same price, may as well, right?

I hope this helps!  Have a safe trip!

Updated Solution

Hey all!!! Rogers has now implemented a great new way for customers to use your phone in the USA as if you were home in Canada. So talk and text while in the USA like you are back home in Canada. All you need is a Share Everything Plan then   text Travel to 222 to enroll. Please click the link below for more details

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/travel

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Any text messages that you send while you are in the US (whether to a Canadian or American number) are subject to roaming charges as you are not on the Rogers network. In addition text messages are not able to be sent over Wifi networks. The one exception to this is the iPhone's iMessage feature but this will only work with sending SMS to other iPhone devices.

ie Sending SMS to a friend in Canada with a Non-iPhone  = roaming charges

ie Sending SMS to a friend in Canada with an iPhone (with Wifi connection active and iMessage enabled on both devices) = No addition charge

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

It should also be noted (I would have thought that a Rogers employee would have done this) that a variety of travel packages can be purchased. These include voice, text messaging, data or combination packages.

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=AppsAddons

Lehkitty
I've Been Around

I have one of those plans that include 100 sent us text msgs.... and was still charged for 3 sent msgs totalling $2.25. going to the store with my paper bill soon because of the $52 overage that should be included in my phone plans

Marciie
I've Been Here Awhile

Question:

When I get a travel package (i got the unlimited texting in the US), will I be able to text people in the US as well as Canada or only Canadian numbers

inferno129
I'm a Reliable Contributor
iMessage works with ANY Apple device running iOS 5 or higher (& has iMessage enabled), it is NOT just for iPhones... & for your "issue", download the app called "textPlus" & it will give you a canadian number for texting & calling, works over ANY source of data. So make sure you use it on WiFi ONLY & completely disable cellular data to avoid any roaming charges. The texts from the app work to ANY mobile device in North America & come to the other user as SMS, they would respond to you as any other number. Problem solved.

I am going to USA for a week and want to be able to text back to Canada. Another phone on my plan will be going also. How much will it cost for roaming coverage. Can I text the other phones on my plan without charge. I  hear about these outrageous bills Rogers hands out. There should be some way of sending low cost texts. 

acwest
I Plan to Stick Around

Does it cost anything to receive a text message while roaming in the US? I am wondering about both SMS and MMS messages.

-Craig

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since you are connecting to a US network, you would have a roaming fee from being on that network
(Unless you pre bought an addon which covered x many text messages there)

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

No you wont be charged for incoming calls or texts.

For texts you wont get Pictutes as your data would have to be ON... For just texts incoming is FREE aslong you have a domestic Texting plan back home... 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hockey821

No need to bring old & already answered threads alive. Gdkitty already answered the question the same way you just did....

Hockey821
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya i know.. Just would like to expand on it lol.. i didnt see it was a old thread as it was on the right side on most liked threads.. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Hockey821

Its alright.

Jmsbond12
I've Been Around
The travel packs are very unreliable at best - I put a travel pack on - monitored my data usage and although I DID NOT go over - I was charged an additional 300$ in data overage charges - and rogers has no explanation for me - other then I went over - but my phone usage monitor says I didn't - I even had my cellular data OFF

Smartswine
I Plan to Stick Around
there's another possibility - handsets can be hard to control; you'll see posts on many different forums where people complain about data traffic going through despite restricted permission settings; there are so many parasitic apps and sometimes questionable hardware setup (especially on Android devices) that OS need to start integrating some sort of robust firewalls 🙂 NSA might not support that idea though

jkroesen
I'm a Trusted Contributor

your package would be sent to use FROM CANADA not allowing 100 sent from us... 

But if you only sent 100 from canada to  the US.  Then i would call and dispute for sure! 

jkroesen

Make sure roaming is off when you are not using it - data can occur by apps with out being aware... Set email to load manually to advoid it from always searching for new mail. Also make sure all app are closed.

My best advise is Keep Data and Roaming off when not using... even better keep phone off!

jkroesen

Smiley FrustratedSorry my post didn't make sense.  I ment to say

your package would be for sending 100 text  FROM CANADA TO THE US ...  This package would not include any text sent from outside of canda.  When outside of canada an add on is required to cover usage.  

If you sent less then 100 text from within canada and still were charged then i would call.  I believe once the 100 are exceeded its around 25 cent for each text to the us. 

oops

JesLaPointe13
I've Been Here Awhile

Hiya,

I've been traveling in the US for work over the last couple months.  One thing I can definitely say, get on the rewards program for starters!  They have a reward you can turn in at 1500 points.  If you are already registered for the rewards program, but haven't used it yet, login to see what your balance it at.  If you have enough, i1500 reward points for the US Travel pack includes 40 talk minutes and unlimited texts.  It does not, however cover any data usage. If you don't have enough points, then see if they have any survey's.  I got 1000 or 1500 for my first survey that I took, which covered my first travel pack redemption right off the bat.  But... They only had the one survey available at the time and I have not seen any new ones since.

Now, if you are willing to pay for a package, there are 2 plans I know of.  The first is a $40 plan which includes 50 talk minutes, unlimited texting (to and from Canada and the US) as well as 200MB of data. 

The second plan is for $80 and includes: 100 talk minutes, unlimited texts (US/Canada) and 500mb of data.

To my knowledge, these are the only travel packs currently avaialble.  Although, they have a travel pack for $40 that's just talk and text only, no data as well (100 talk minutes, unlimited texts, no data coverage).  But if you can get the package with data for the same price, may as well, right?

I hope this helps!  Have a safe trip!

Updated Solution

Hey all!!! Rogers has now implemented a great new way for customers to use your phone in the USA as if you were home in Canada. So talk and text while in the USA like you are back home in Canada. All you need is a Share Everything Plan then   text Travel to 222 to enroll. Please click the link below for more details

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/travel

View solution in original post