Text Messages - # of characters

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Text Messages - # of characters

For the most part I don't text much, however this month there has been a need for it so I purchased a text plan for my Pay as You Go phone. The issue is that I've had two or even three messages deducted from my plan total when I only send one. I looked at the character count and a couple of them pushed over the 160 limit but the last one was only 130... even if the phone number is counted as characters it shouldn't push over 160 and yet it deducted 2 messages. While on the phone with a Rogers rep I sent one message with "test" as thte only text in it and was only deducted 1 message. Of course I found how to see the character count on previous messages after hanging up with them and I can't afford to sit on the phone for another hour.

Has anyone else had this problem, is there a character amount I can stay within that will only bill me for one since even 130 charges me for 2 messages sent. BTW before signing up for the plan I was never billed for more than one message, not sure how long those were... until now I didn't realize there was a character size limit.

******* Edit labels ********

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Text Messages - # of characters

You should be charged for one message if your message contains 130 characters. I would suspect something screwy with rogers billing systems, and nothing you are doing to cause this. You can rest assured that there is nothing wrong with what you are doing, all you need to do is just complain every time they over charge you for text. It sounds tedious but its the only thing you can do.

I Plan to Stick Around

The last few texts I've sent were in the 80-110 character range and they're being counted as two texts.

Just got hung up on by Rogers! They kept shuffling me between departments, when I refused to be transfered again she hung up on me! Between the weekend call and this last one I've been on the phone with Rogers for 3 hours! The billing department figures I'm trying to rip them off, they assume my messages have been over 160 characters but can't tell me how many characters each message is... so they transfer me to the tech department who also cannot tell me how many characters my texts are; they simply assume they're over 160. My phone tells me that I'm not over 160 but that doesn't seem to count since I "would not be charged for two messages if it was under 160 characters".

Rogers Pay as you Go has worked great for me over the last 6 years, I rarely used texts so I just paid the $0.20 per message until recent circumstances made texting a useful option and I decided to use a text messaging package.

What a joke! I guess this is their way of making people buy the next package up so when you're double charged you don't run out of messages in your package.

I've Been Around

I have the same issue, never noticed it. So maybe I was ripped off by Rogers on other occasions. Customer sopport and Tech are useless for this (for my privacy) they cannot tell I many caracters I am sending out...