Tethering/sharing data iPad with Android (HTC Magic)?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Tethering/sharing data iPad with Android (HTC Magic)?

Hi, 

I'm wondering if Rogers will be allowing the ability of tethering the iPad with my Android device (the HTC Magic) or if I am allowed to share the iPad's 3G data plan with it.  I'm debating whether to get the wifi or 3G version of the iPad but I'm not sure of the options available right now.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Tethering/sharing data iPad with Android (HTC Magic)?

There is NO need for a seperate "sharing" addon for your account. I use the iphone 4s, and I have a 32gb blackberry playbook. 

I turn on my hotspot and I use my data from my iphone when needed. So long as your phone has a hotspot capability *i.e. nexus S* then you are fine and good to go. Again, to be perfectly clear. There is NO need whatsoever for a data share plan if the previous conditions I mentioned are met, unless you just like losing $20 or whatever it costs like a sucker. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No, data tethering is only sharable between the iPhone and iPad and then you have to share your exsisting data plan between the two which costs you an extra $20 (+ GRRF) per month to share the data that your are already paying for.  Big huge debate over this as I believe bell is offering the same thing for half and a quarter of the cost.  Best bet is seperate data plans for both items (probably what rogers is aiming for) as it will limit overagers from sharing and essentially make a bit more money.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So can I pay the $20 (is this per month?) and have my data shared between them?  I'm on a 6GB/month plan.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure if it works with your current smart phone as its not a iPhone, and I think they are making it an iPhone only deal; however I dont work for rogers so the best bet would be to contact a CSR and see if it applies to any smartphone data package, if your paying extra personally I dont see why it would matter if its and iPhone or and HTC.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Redboard reads "*New* smartphone and iPad sharing plans", so I would assume that all smartphones are eligible.  Whether you want to go that route is another story.  (Another vendor charges $10 [vs. $20] to do the same.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I clicked on the "Learn more" under the $30/6GB plan and the following appears:

NEW! Add $20/month plus Government Regulatory Recovery Fee* to the $30 / 6 GB3 plan to share data between your smartphone or iPhone, and your iPad.
To add the $20/mo sharing option, please visit Rogers.com/storelocator to find a Rogers store near you.
Tethering included with this plan. To learn more about Tethering, visit rogers.com/tethering

So there - the sharing is valid for all smartphones and iPad, not just iPhones.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Once you upgrade your android phone to Froyo you should be able to make your phone a wifi hotspot which you can then connect your iPad no problem. My co-worker has a nexus one and does this all the time. Since it's a wifi hotspot you can also connect laptops ipod touches and other wifi devices no problem.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Sorry I spoke a bit too soon.. You may not get froyo from proper channels you may need to do some searching on google to figure out how to get froyo on an HTC magic.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You don't need froyo, but you do need to root your phone for this solution. There's an app called Barnacle Wifi in the android marketplace that will set up a wifi hotspot from your android phone.

Note: Rooting your phone will probably void your warranty for some stupid reason.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I know full well I can go around and use a custom ROM after rooting.  But I want to know what options and services Rogers is willing to provide without me making modifications to my smartphone.  And I already know about the Magic getting the Android 2.1 update some time this month or the next.

And I don't quite understand why I would pay $20/month to use my EXISTING plan when I could just pay $15/month for an extra amount of data specifically for my iPad.  That's completely backwards.  What kind of logic is this?