cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tethering/sharing data iPad with Android (HTC Magic)?

radio2
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

I'm wondering if Rogers will be allowing the ability of tethering the iPad with my Android device (the HTC Magic) or if I am allowed to share the iPad's 3G data plan with it.  I'm debating whether to get the wifi or 3G version of the iPad but I'm not sure of the options available right now.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Tethering/sharing data iPad with Android (HTC Magic)?

jxjan
I Plan to Stick Around

There is NO need for a seperate "sharing" addon for your account. I use the iphone 4s, and I have a 32gb blackberry playbook. 

I turn on my hotspot and I use my data from my iphone when needed. So long as your phone has a hotspot capability *i.e. nexus S* then you are fine and good to go. Again, to be perfectly clear. There is NO need whatsoever for a data share plan if the previous conditions I mentioned are met, unless you just like losing $20 or whatever it costs like a sucker. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

No, data tethering is only sharable between the iPhone and iPad and then you have to share your exsisting data plan between the two which costs you an extra $20 (+ GRRF) per month to share the data that your are already paying for.  Big huge debate over this as I believe bell is offering the same thing for half and a quarter of the cost.  Best bet is seperate data plans for both items (probably what rogers is aiming for) as it will limit overagers from sharing and essentially make a bit more money.

radio2
I've Been Here Awhile

So can I pay the $20 (is this per month?) and have my data shared between them?  I'm on a 6GB/month plan.

ne14t
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure if it works with your current smart phone as its not a iPhone, and I think they are making it an iPhone only deal; however I dont work for rogers so the best bet would be to contact a CSR and see if it applies to any smartphone data package, if your paying extra personally I dont see why it would matter if its and iPhone or and HTC.

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Redboard reads "*New* smartphone and iPad sharing plans", so I would assume that all smartphones are eligible.  Whether you want to go that route is another story.  (Another vendor charges $10 [vs. $20] to do the same.)

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

I clicked on the "Learn more" under the $30/6GB plan and the following appears:

NEW! Add $20/month plus Government Regulatory Recovery Fee* to the $30 / 6 GB3 plan to share data between your smartphone or iPhone, and your iPad.
To add the $20/mo sharing option, please visit Rogers.com/storelocator to find a Rogers store near you.
Tethering included with this plan. To learn more about Tethering, visit rogers.com/tethering

So there - the sharing is valid for all smartphones and iPad, not just iPhones.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Once you upgrade your android phone to Froyo you should be able to make your phone a wifi hotspot which you can then connect your iPad no problem. My co-worker has a nexus one and does this all the time. Since it's a wifi hotspot you can also connect laptops ipod touches and other wifi devices no problem.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Sorry I spoke a bit too soon.. You may not get froyo from proper channels you may need to do some searching on google to figure out how to get froyo on an HTC magic.

steveh
I Plan to Stick Around

You don't need froyo, but you do need to root your phone for this solution. There's an app called Barnacle Wifi in the android marketplace that will set up a wifi hotspot from your android phone.

Note: Rooting your phone will probably void your warranty for some stupid reason.

radio2
I've Been Here Awhile

I know full well I can go around and use a custom ROM after rooting.  But I want to know what options and services Rogers is willing to provide without me making modifications to my smartphone.  And I already know about the Magic getting the Android 2.1 update some time this month or the next.

And I don't quite understand why I would pay $20/month to use my EXISTING plan when I could just pay $15/month for an extra amount of data specifically for my iPad.  That's completely backwards.  What kind of logic is this?

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

You assume that the smartphone will be right next to your iPad.  What if your wife has the phone, you have the iPad, and you want to sit in the food court surfing on the iPad while your wife is sifting through clothes in Sears?  The Android 2.2 tethering will not work in this case, while the sharing plan does.

steveh
I Plan to Stick Around
@rgl168 So for only $20 a month before hidden fees I can have this edge case covered? 😛

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

@steveh what you do with your $20 is up to you, particularly if you get the exact same service elsewhere with just $10.

steveh
I Plan to Stick Around

I never said people shouldn't do what they want with their money. I'm just saying that paying $20 to use a data plan you've already paid for is a rip off. You're still free to do it. A fool and his money and all that.

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

Perhaps Steveh Wireless would allow sharing on one single 6GB plan with unlimited devices with no extra charge, even give extra SIM cards for free?  Let me know when this Steveh Wireless is up and running and I'll sign up.

steveh
I Plan to Stick Around

No need to whine. There are perfectly valid workarounds for the problem of being charged twice for a single data plan and you know what they are. For the most part they are very simple. If you feel the need to flush an extra $20 a month down the drain for zero gain then you're free to do that. Some of us aren't made of money.

rgl168
I Plan to Stick Around

@steveh wrote:

No need to whine. There are perfectly valid workarounds for the problem of being charged twice for a single data plan and you know what they are. For the most part they are very simple. If you feel the need to flush an extra $20 a month down the drain for zero gain then you're free to do that. Some of us aren't made of money.

Boy aren't you short-sighted.

Someone at work signed up for a sharing plan at another provider - works the same as $20 Rogers sharing add-on, but for only $10.

He used to have:

- $50 for voice + data plan (500MB)

- $35 for ipad data plan (5GB)

= total $85 per month with 5.5GB separated between two devices

How he has:

- $55 for voice + data (6GB)

- $10 for ipad sharing

= total $65 per month with 6GB pooled between two devices

You tell me which one is the better deal (of course, other than Steveh Wireless' plan that allows sharing 6GB between unlimited device with no extra charge.)

Ed:  I'd like to add that his wife has the phone while he has the ipad, therefore the two devices are not next to each other for wifi tethering to work.

User6020
I've Been Around
I have an LG Optimus 1 smart phone. I turn on wifi hotspot tethering and any wifi device (bb, ipad, iphone droid,etc) can connect to the internet. 6 gig plan on Rogers is plenty for my ipad and lg pad for tethering.

jxjan
I Plan to Stick Around

There is NO need for a seperate "sharing" addon for your account. I use the iphone 4s, and I have a 32gb blackberry playbook. 

I turn on my hotspot and I use my data from my iphone when needed. So long as your phone has a hotspot capability *i.e. nexus S* then you are fine and good to go. Again, to be perfectly clear. There is NO need whatsoever for a data share plan if the previous conditions I mentioned are met, unless you just like losing $20 or whatever it costs like a sucker. 

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation