Tethering iPhone and iPad

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Tethering iPhone and iPad

I was reading the FAQs about the iPad, and if I'm reading correctly, it says that you can't tether with the iPad. I'm just trying to understand why that is.

Currently, when I travel I take my laptop and tether my iPhone to my laptop. I was hoping to buy an iPad as it is less bulky than the laptop and does everything I need, but that's no use to me if I can't tether. I don't want a data plan on both my iPhone and my iPad.

And FYI, I don't want to jailbreak it either, in case that's your answer. Smiley Tongue

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Tethering iPhone and iPad

I to am tethering my iphone 3gs phone to my ipad 1, via bluetooth.  I have the newest apple software on both, and no need to jailbreak.  Just enable the Personal Hotspot on the iphone, and then connect the two devices with bluetooth.  I found I have to use the ipad to connect to the iphone via bluetooth, not the other way around.  I thought my ipad was basiclly an ebook until this came along, now it is my favorite travel companion.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I believe they mean an iPad cannot share it's 3G connection. There is nothing stopping it from accessing any wifi network, including the one created by your iPhone.
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

In fact, it sounds like not only can you share your iPhone's connection to your iPad, that iPad also receives the GPS coordinates of the iPhone (since the wifi iPad doesn't have GPS) so the Maps app on the iPad becomes as accurate a GPS device as the iPhone. Imagine being in the car and your passenger  can now turn on an iPad an see, accurately, where you are and help navigate off of a very large screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/iphone-personal-hotspot-transmitting-gps-information-to-tethered/

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes since IOS 4.3 you can now create a personal hotspot with your iphone4, thus sharing your data between devices for free. All you need is a data plan that qualifies for tethering.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm talking about tethering the old fashioned way, with a cable from the iPhone to the iPad. I have an iPhone 3G, so I can't get OS 4.3.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

No there is not cable tethering option available that I have heard of or read about. Sorry.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

what about bluetooth?

can the wifi ipad connect and tether to an iphone 3g via bluetooth - and "tether" or share the iphone data plan that way?

In summary : you are saying the sharing magic is a combination of iphone 4, ios4.3 and a rogers data plan over 1 gb?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

The bluetooth stack in the ipad is not complete and cannot connect to a device to get an internet data connection.

Yep pretty much the magic combo is A phone that offers personal hotspot (an Andriod 2.2 phone or an iPhone4 with IOS 4.3) and a rogers data plan that qualifies for tethering (usually any plan 1GB or greater not including the 1GB family share plan).
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Nice thinking bareeves, but wow it's as though they're forcing you to upgrade. I have a 6 GB dataplan which I hardly use!

So here's my new thought. I can upgrade to the 3GS for $99. By the sounds of it, that should work for tethering, no problem. Is there any aspect I haven't thought about that might not be a good idea to upgrade to a 3GS (which I understand can also create a hotspot, as it uses OS 4.3) instead of a 4?

I know that's a bit vague as far as questions go, but you guys seem to have all the bases covered, and I'm clearly out of my depth! Any and all thoughts are welcome (except jailbreaking! lol)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@kymbeee you would need to upgrade to an iphone4 to be able to tether an ipad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3574

Iphone 4 is the only one that offers wifi tethering. 3g and 3gs offer bluetooth tethering but the ipad doesn't support it.

I'm not sure without searching what the iphone 4 upgrade costs would be..

You could wait until July when the iPhone5 comes out and then the 4 would drop in price.