Tethering Without Charge

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Tethering Without Charge

So, with the new US ruling back in July, has Rogers removed the tethering rule that we need to purchase up to 500gb in order to tether with our phones? Or is it still in force and we would be charged extra if we tether with a less than 500gb plan?

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Tethering Without Charge

There is no 500gb plan from Rogers... do you mean 500mb?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Oops, yes 500mb! And I think it's the min. 1gb plan that gets the tethering? Either way, my question is really about whether Rogers controls tethering in light of the new ruling. I realize that it's a US ruling but have they decided to simply abide by it even though there's no such ruling in Canada? Or will it take a class action to get them and every other major phone company in Canada to fall in line?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I believe they announced that 1gb plans and higher get free tethering. My 6gb includes free tethering.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You can tether on the 500mb Rogers can't stop it. They just want people to buy the 1GB to get more cash out of your pocket. They always referer to some strange poll saying most customer use around 1Gb of data per month and wish people buy it to get a better experience on their phone. They say its a precaution to overage fees one could incur on the 500mb plan.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So, in other words, the offical response is: you need to pay for the 1GB plan to tether. But in reality, they don't enforce it?

I just find it hard to justify not allowing people to tether after they've paid for the data. If I paid for 100mb, shouldn't I be allowed to use it on several devices as I see fit? After all, I paid for the 100mb and if I go over, I'll be charged anyway.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly but they can't enforce it. Tethering in Android is part of the OS since Froyo (2.2, released in may 2010) and Rogers has no control over it on your device. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You can definitely tether on a 500mb plan but I'm pretty sure Rogers will charge you for what data you use while tethered.
My monthly bill actually tells me how much data I've used tethered so they know when you are tethered.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have tethered with the 500mb blackberry plan for months and months and never got extra charges.  Your mileage (or kilmometres cus we're in Canada) might vary!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can I tether without extra charge with a 100MB data plan?