Terrible battery life on S2 LTE after upgrade to Jelly Bean

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Terrible battery life on S2 LTE after upgrade to Jelly Bean

Anyone else experiencing terrible battery drain after the upgrade to JB?  For me a safe estimate would be 40% worse life and even more concerning is that even when not using it the battery drains more quickly.  After the upgrade I set it back up the same as before and I do not use widgets that autoupdate, all pretty standard stuff email, FB etc...

If it doesnt improve, can I easily go back to ICS?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Around

Re: Terrible battery life on S2 LTE after upgrade to Jelly Bean

I have the same problem!  When I check the battery stats, the main culprit is "Google Framework services".  The phone is really hot too...

I've Been Here Awhile

Make sure you resest your phone in the settigns. That should fix a lot of problems. Remember to backup any important information if anything is to occur

I Plan to Stick Around

will that not roll back to the OS that the phone originally came with?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello satdan

You can not go back to the older OS unless you root the device & add a custom room which has the original OS on it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi satdan,

Just to explain further on this point - a "factory reset" more or less just wipes clean and gives you a fresh install of the current version of Android you have installled. So as Meowmix mentioned it does not take you back to ICS.

If you're having problems after an Android update it's always worth doing a reset - even if it is a hassle. I've personally had it solve issues for me before.

I've Been Around

I have the same issue. <4 hours since I took it off the charger and I'm at 29%. I'm not using anything differently than I ever have, and a full charge used to easily last me 12 hours with my regular use patterns. This is really annoying. 

edit: in the few minutes it took me to type this message, I'm down to 25%...

Another problem I'm having that only started happening after the update is that my alarm fails to go off in the mornings. It sits on the charger all night, and the last 2 days I have had to set an old alarm clock as a backup because it hasn't gone off... If I set an alarm for a minute from now it will go no problem, but for some reason it doesn't work in the mornings... All the times are set properly, and the volume is on, and there is no chance that I'm turning it off in my sleep, because the phone is across the room about 10 feet from where I sleep. I haven't changed anything aside from the 4.1.2 update.

I've Been Around

I have the same problem with the same device mentioned in the topic. My device would have at least 5 percent when I get back from which I leave at around 7 AM on Tuesday and get back home at around 4 or 5 PM with some battery life left. But now, it seems that my battery is not lasting a whole day and it drains at a much faster rate than before.

By the time I get outside and use my device, my device would still drain battery life even if it is off. Now, my biggest concern is having to carry my charger when I am outside for certain periods of time because I don't want to miss any important messages or emails.

I have already did a factory reset on it and it has not even helped either. I think the problem would be how much data is on the phone because when this device was released, it started at Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Now, two updates later, we are at Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and I am not sure if there is even a fix for it. Even downloaded Juice Defender and it didn't even help either. 

I guess I will have to carry my charger during certain times until there is some sort of fix avalible if it ever happens.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey I had problems with battery life, 4 hours from charged to dead as long as you didnt use it, less if you did. I called rogers, even though my phone is 6 months old and under warranty they told me they would do nothing and told me to contact samsung. Samsung was helpfull, the agent I spoke to told me that there were "massive problems" with the rogers version of jelly bean for the sgh i727r. He advised me that because of the problems, even if phone is out of warranty, rooted, or has had custom roms installed( flash counter triggered) they will repair phone for free. they sent me a prepaid ups shipping label to return phone, and the turn around time is half what rogers advised me as well....I did manage to fix my phone. I used odin, and flashed clockwork recovery. Wiping data/factory reset, clearing cache and wiping delvic cache did not work, still had battery issues wether installing rogers stock jellybean rom, or the stock ice cream sandwich one. so i did it again and used a program called darkside superwipe in addition to reset and clearing caches. phone seems ok, but i am going to send it back anyway, the phone spent a day with the battery hot to the touch. if it was turned on it discharged slowly even if it was plugged into the charger who knows what that did to the battery or motherboard.....

I've Been Here Awhile

update:  I sent my phone directly to samsung, (it was rooted, and flash counter was at 4) 6 days after i mailed it, a brand new galaxy s2 lte showed up at my door.  samsung rocks, Rogers sucks.... dont even waste your time calling them call samsung direct.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 in conversation