Terrible Lag Spikes

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Terrible Lag Spikes

So over the past week ive been getting terrible lag spikes later on in the day. Its usually fine up until 6:30-7. At that time i get terrible lag spikes for about 2 hours. Then at around 9 im getting terrible download and uploads speeds ( UNDER 1MBPS!) I can barely even load youtube videos.. 

This is very frusturating as when i get home i can use the internet for about an hour and then after that loading google web results is even a problem.. 

Does anyone know why this might be happening or have any steps i can take to fix/prevent this?

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Terrible Lag Spikes

I'm still waiting on Rogers to get back to me on this. It's been 2 days now and no one had the guts to call me, What baffles me is that this seems to bea very common problem. I'm from N.B. and you're from Ontario. I'm sure a lot of people experience the same problem and they don't either bother but I will get to the bottom of this rest assured.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I normally have a rock solid connection, the last two days (in Ontario) have seen some odd stuff. Generally works, but mostly have seen issues with the upload, if I have ANY upload going on it chokes off the whole connection. As soon as I stop the upload, works fine.
Only correlation I can see is that it appears they are playing with the upstream channels, I only have one bound at the moment (normally 3-4), but upload speed tests seem to show what I should when it works.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Im using a Cisco DPC3825.

I have no idea if that could be the problem or not but this is really unbearable im going to have to call them tommorow.

I Plan to Stick Around

Before last weekend when this all began, I was having no issues at all. The last time I had a problem was back in February and there was a major breakdown in N.B. but after that, all was fine. 

I Plan to Stick Around

According to a speedtest i just took. Im currently getting "57 MS | 0.17mbps download | 1.26mbps upload"

I Plan to Stick Around

So heres an update: I fixed the slow speeds by changing the range from Standard - 20 Mhz to Wide - 40Mhz on my router. Now i get perfect speeds at all times of day. However ever hour or so my router just restarts itself? I disconnect from the internet for a good 2-4 minuites randomly. Anyone know why this could be?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If changing that setting on your wireless pretty much fixed the issue.. it may be that there is alot of wifi signals in the area, that may be interfearing with each other.  That its time of day, may be likely that someone else nearby is using their then and is crowding yours out, etc.

Your other issue though.. i am guessing you are using the wireless on the gateway itself?  This is a problem that many users have run into.. its just that the wireless on the gateway... SUCKS 😞
Most people to rectify this.. end up getting their own 3rd party router.. and set the gateway in bridged mode (effectively making it a modem)

If you would like to try this.. one of us here can likely help you with setting it up..

As well.. might be worth doing a wireless survey, to set your wireless settings to be most optimized and have the least interfearance. (i can help with this)