Terrible Connection Issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mafiaboy01
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Terrible Connection Issues

Tech came ouf said everything looks fine. Had to restart once today. But tonigh ive been getting very slow speeds, max 20Mbps. No idea whats going on. Still waiting on thw test firmware, hopefully that helps.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How are you running that speedtest, ethernet or wifi?  And, what browser and test server are you using.  I've seen some strange results posted recently which included both http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html and speedtest.net.   Speedtest has recently started a beta test for those users who are not running Flash on their pc.  I've been directed to servers in Ontario and the first speedtest has usually been terrible.  If I rerun the speedtest at the same site right away, it will turn out much improved.  

So, to get around that I use Chrome to run a test using the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.  I force the use of the Toronto Telus server so that speedtest doesn't choose a server for me that has a lower capacity, in terms of high data rates. 

Looking back at the posts, I see that you're running the router with IPV6 enabled. Just for the heck of it, try disabling IPV6 in the router, reboot the router, then the pc or laptop and then try an ethernet connected test with the Speedtest.net Toronto Telus server using Firefox if you have Flash loaded, or use Chrome.  For the pc or laptop, if its running windows, after the router reboot is complete, you can simply bring up a command prompt and type:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

Run that instead of rebooting the pc or laptop to save time.

The updated firmware will solve the reboots required to restart dead LAN ports.

mafiaboy01
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the test firmware for my modem this morning. Rebooted everything. Now Speedtest.net is showing great speeds, however if I try to download anything whether its http or ftp i get aweful speeds, between 200KB/s and 3MB/s. This being done via wired ethernet connection, everything in the house is gigabit. My work server where I'm downloading from has a 20GB/s connection.

I've tried disabling IPv6, it made no difference (work server is IPv4 only anyways) To rule out that it was an issue with that specific site I tried donwloading something else and same speed persist.

I tried factory reseting the modem, connected with it in gateway mode but internet was just as slow.

Its just been so frustrating. I have rogers at my condo and it works perfectly, here I've had nothing but issues since I've signed up

Also local network is operating fine, I'm able to transfer files at 1Gb/s speeds

So quick recap

-Modem needed to be rebooted once a day

-Rogers tech came out said lines etc are fine

-Modem was replace

-Problem wasn't solved

-I applied for test firmware

-Rogers tech came again said lines were within spec

-Speedtest speeds were showing 10-30Mb/s (100Mb package)

-Firmware was updated on Modem

-Speedtest speeds showing 100+Mb/s

-Actual download speeds between 200KB/s and 3MB/s

I guess I have to call them again.

Edit: I tried to download some Nvidia drivers and it downloaded at full speed. Gonna give a bit of time and see if everything speeds up.

mafiaboy01
I Plan to Stick Around

So after messing around with the internet all day I'm stumped.

The restart issue seems to have been fixed by the update. Howerver my download speeds vary significantly from website to website.

Downloading from Nvidia (driver) or Microsoft (iso), or speedtest runs at full speed

Downloading from Google (nexus image), Kaspersky, or work server (http/https/ftp) run between 200KB/s and 1MB/s.

All of these sites donwload fine at my condo (250/20 package). I have no idea why there's this varience. I've restarted everything, facotry reset everything, turned IPv6 off and on, used multiple computers. I talked with technical support they just claimed its server side problem. But you can't tell me all those sites are having issues.

At this point im out off ideas.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its interesting that you mention Google as there was a Rogers network problem with Google services last week.  Not sure but I suspect they might have been connected with IPV6 issues.  Maybe all of the bugs have not been taken care of.  Can you run the following ping tests and post the results.

Ping google.com

Ping -6 ipv6.google.com    When this is done and you post the results, put in a group of xxxx's in place of your

first hop which will be your IPV6 address.

I'm assuming that you have IPV6 up and running at this point.  

mafiaboy01
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, I pinged the server no problem

Pinging ipv6.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e: time=34ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e: time=37ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e: time=48ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e: time=27ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 36ms

Also ran a traceroute no problem

Tracing route to ipv6.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms 3 ms 2607:fea8:5xxx:xxx::1
2 14 ms 11 ms 15 ms 2607:f798:xxx:x::1
3 21 ms 20 ms 24 ms 2607:f798:10:144e:0:690:6325:4205
4 19 ms 17 ms 17 ms 2607:f798:10:56:0:690:6324:8225
5 36 ms 31 ms 27 ms 2607:f798:10:63:0:690:6324:8089
6 30 ms 27 ms 30 ms 2001:4860:1:1:0:32c:0:6
7 30 ms 28 ms 26 ms 2001:4860::1:0:6572
8 51 ms 37 ms 33 ms 2001:4860::8:0:4398
9 52 ms 60 ms 51 ms 2001:4860::1:0:7139
10 67 ms 71 ms 88 ms 2001:4860:0:1::71f
11 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms yyz08s13-in-x0e.1e100.net [2607:f8b0:400b:80a::200e]

I don't think its IPv6 related because my work server only operates IPv4

Browsing etc works no problem

Another strange thing I noticed, watching a 1080p Youtube video I can see my system pulling 7-10Mb/s, when I try a 4K video I only get 2Mb/s and it stutters all the time. Not sure if its relevant but seems really strange.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There were issues with Youtube as well, so, yup, I think its probably relevent.  I was thinking that if there were network issues, they might show up in the trace, but, it went all the way to the end target.

mafiaboy01
I Plan to Stick Around

I"m gonna give it a test at my condo tonight and see if I have issues there. I'll give it a few days to see if things start working better. I really don't think its anything on my end.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it works from your condo, then its a Rogers network issue, tied to your CMTS or one of the upstream servers from that CMTS.  If so, I'll need your modem MAC address and CMTS-MAC address via pm which I can pass on to the engineering staff to look at.   Those can be found in the STATUS .... DOCSIS EVENTs log.

mafiaboy01
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried downloading the same file from Google as well as the file from my work server at my condo. Both files donwloaded at 40MB/s. I am sure that it isn't an issue with the servers hosting the files.