Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Like Darkpaw, (thanks for deleting my last post Rogers) we have had Rogers from the beginning and after the local competition was destroyed they started with the games of making the "product" worse and worse and making you pay more and more.  Starting with the change that Darkpaw noted:  changing the unlimited from unlimited to "unlimited online time".  Nice job Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Erin, Hooter makes a good point. We get penalized for going over the cap, but not rewarded for staying under it.

How about if we stay under it, we get credited for that amount of gigabytes which could be subtracted if we go over later?

For example, let's say I have a 60GB plan. January I use 50GB, February I use 70GB.

Currently I'd get charged for the 10gigs. I think they should cancel that out by how I stayed under in January.

Oh and guys, what Erin was referring to was http://redboard.rogers.com/2011/rogers-high-speed-internet-customers-not-impacted-by-crtc-decision/ since that is the only redboard entry tagged with user-based billing.

One thing to keep in mind here though: not only are some of Rogers' competitors providing 'Unlimited' (no-cap) options on high speed plans (some with 3-15 Mbps), but the speeds are even at a decent price. It's not necessarily a matter of trading off low-expense plans for high BW users and comparative high cost for speed-based browsers.

Rogers does currently have the monopoly on higher-speed plans as far as I'm aware, the highest I've seen matches your Extreme (15) and I haven't seen anyone offering the 25/50 offered by your EPlus or Ultimates. Yet, the casual browser not viewing movies probably doesn't even have need of these speeds.

Right now, your main appeal to me is your customer support and antivirus technology, because aside from that, competitors are looking more appealing due to these bandwidth caps. Even if I ignored that issue and looked at advertised speeds alone, it still seems better...

Why should I pay $36 for 3Mb when I could get it for $28? Why pay $47 for 10Mb when I can get it for $37? Why pay $60 for 15Mb when I can get it for $43? This is based on speed alone, the lack of bandwidth restrictions pretty much seals the deal.

I'm hesitant to leave because I've got a lot of faith in the company and its reputation and longevity, but still, this BW thing is really icing it. It makes me motivated to gamble on these new startups. Maybe they cut costs with less service or something, but it may be worth it.

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Slayer,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along.

Please keep in mind, our community forums intend to provide a peer-to-peer environment to discuss technical solutions.

Cheers

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Yeah what does online time even mean? I'd actually rather wait a tad to dial up and have unlimited BW, thanks.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The throttling is also an issue.  But this is being discussed in another thread.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Bell admits errors tracking clients’ Internet usage

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/935381--bell-admits-errors-tracking-clients-internet-usage?bn=1

If this is happening with Bell, could it also be happening with Rogers? Is there any independent tracking monitor available to check on your bandwidth?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I do believe you can use Tomato http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

However, it'll only show what everything hooked up to the Router uses.

It won't count dropped incoming packets by Rogers, which they do count. 

Also remember Rogers' dropping packets also artifically increases your usage - each dropped packet usually requires 1-3 extra packets being sent.  More $$ for Rogers.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Currently all internet traffic that we monitor comes directly from the MAC address of your Cable modem.  You do have access to free Bandwidth monitor systems on the internet to install directly on your computer system to track the usage for each machine to gain a better picture.

Here is a example of a free lite application.

http://www.rokario.com/products/bandmon/2-0/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/181248--shaw-plans-to-charge-for-going-over-internet-limi...

Rogers: your turn to increase the limits....

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Bell recently pulled the plug on their download monitoring....and Shaw is delaying implentmenting UBB....

Is Rogers going to look over their ubb/monitoring/caps anytime soon??