Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

I don't know why Rogers offers different speed / bandwidths. Why not just use the same equipment and speed on all accounts and just bill once the customer goes over different cap for the month?

How can the service be advertised as so many MBytes per second when you cannot acheieve that continuously for the advertised price?

Good thing Rogers didn't honour the agreement we had when I signed up, as now I don't have to honour my end of it either.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The key cop-out in their side of the contract is the "up to" part of the speed.

I have been running speedtest.net at random times, and very late at night and very early in the morning, I get 10-16Mb/s.  Right now, I'm getting 2Mb/s.  Last night during peak time, I was getting between 2 and 3, but it was as low as 1.5Mb/s at one point.

After my next billing cycle, I'm dropping back from Extreme to Express.  What's the point in having Extreme when I can't use it.  I originally went to Extreme because I was constantly going over my cap in Express.  But if I can't download anything fast enough to watch it, I guess I don't have to worry so much about hitting my cap now. 

It's not advisable to make any changes with Rogers in the middle of a billing cycle, else they screw up the next 3 bills in a row, and it takes numerous calls to the billing department to get it rectified.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@DWR,

Rogers deleted my messages twice already,

• althought I have stayed on topic
  • I have not used any offensive words
  • Asked here and on Facebook why they are deleting my post and Rogers did not provided ANY explanations

Rogers does not want to listen to their customers. Rogers wants to silence any posts that clearly show how unfair their bandwitdh prices are.

I have message for you Rogers: by treating your customers as such (deleting their posts) you are showing that my calls, my honest opinion my desire to help you inprove the service means nothing to you.

If you offered competitive fees, did not lowered your offerings (just like you did last year) your customers, among me, would praise you for it and actually help getting more business. However, you guys do not care. Pity...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Enigmatic

Yes, Rogers reserves the right to delete and or edit any post they feel is not appropriate.  This forum is not for us to discuss anything in the usual sense of the word.  It is a forum where peers are helping peers with purely technical matters.  Please note the fact there is only a 'like' button and no 'dislike' button; this way we cannot 'dislike' anything our overlords say to us.  Sort of like Communist Russia that way.  Or, Animal Farm.  Or 1984.  We, if we aren't happy, are always free to take our business elsewhere....if we can. 

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

sarcasim aside.

I have used Rogers for my entire internet life... and honestly it astounds me that they don't seem to be being competitve for 2011, or even showing an interest in their service....They need an entire new strategy for their internet service. I'd love to see Rogers be the least bit Pro-Active regarding their internet. All we have seen recently is Rogers intiating Bandwidth Cuts and Bizarre traffic management strategies..... Very Low Bandwidth caps and Throttling  is just dragging it down.Why do they need both?   Plus the price seems uncompetitve.

*sigh* Rogers Internet what happened to you?

I Plan to Stick Around

I feel just the way you do Khicken.  I've been with Rogers since the @Home days.  They actually tried back then to offer quality access to the internet.  I miss those days too.  Unfortunately for us and all the customers of the big telco/cable companies they missed the boat on what the future would be.  They gambled on their television service to be relevant into the foreseeable future, discounting the rise of the digital options -- where it didn't agree with what they had in hand.  They were caught flat-footed about five years ago and DID actually see something on the horizen.  They thought that they could stifle the growth of internet use in its infancy.  Force people to use it only for very minor ambitions by making it economically onerous to use.  They forgot one thing.  We can talk to each other.  Not only on facebook, but in discussion forums around the world.  They forgot that the users of the internet help create it.  The users make and grow the content themselves.  They didn't realize that it is an intoxicating experience to affect someone half a world away with a video you made or words that you wrote.  They didn't realize we might prefer to indulge in the creative outpourings of other users of the internet, rather than absorb a canned procuct that tells us when to laugh and when to clap.  They underestimated that, allowing just an extra two minutes of commercials per half hour, would turn away enough from television to seek alternatives that turned out to be much richer than television could ever be.

They'll resist us.  Ultimately they'll have to bend.  Because, you see, we make the rules.  We can have the last mile nationalized, because we can elect people that will do this for us.  We're customers, not cattle.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@Community

Please refrain from going off topic.  This forum is meant for Technical support assistance by the community only.  Posting Youtube video's will not be allowed.  We are open for discussion on a variety of topics but please keep to the scope of the forums. 

A link to the Guidelines can be found here.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

this is just a money grab by rogers and to discourage p2p sharing.with the throttling and caps the internet in Canada is the worst in the world. not to mention by this they don't have upgrade their infrastructure. cheap cheap and who pays for it we do the customers.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

"Shaw has announced new broadband plans that offer far more data, faster speeds, and better pricing than comparable plans at competitors such as Rogers, Bell, and Telus."

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5818/125/

"The differences between the two major cable providers are dramatic and raise questions about whether the other major providers will match Shaw's broadband plans. Moreover, they confirm what many have long argued about usage based billing in Canada - it is not about network congestion nor about paying for what you use. Rather, UBB in Canada is simply a cash grab by network providers with sufficient market power to demand it."

Is Rogers listening?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

I have looked into this article as well.  The Shaw packages offered will require you to subscribe to the company's Cable TV service.  You won't be able to pay for a standalone Internet service with the new Shaw packages.

Very Interesting.  Thank you IHR.