cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Alexville
I've Been Here Awhile

I laughed when Netflix finally comes to Canada and Rogers quickly downs the cap on the Lite and Extreme plans. 

"We understand that customers are using the Internet more and more every day. "We’ve therefore set our usage allowances at -very generous- levels"

Yea I'm sure 80GB for a package im paying >$60 for is very generous 😄

Something needs to change...

***edited labels***

94 REPLIES 94

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Slayer
I'm Here A Lot

Erin, Hooter makes a good point. We get penalized for going over the cap, but not rewarded for staying under it.

How about if we stay under it, we get credited for that amount of gigabytes which could be subtracted if we go over later?

For example, let's say I have a 60GB plan. January I use 50GB, February I use 70GB.

Currently I'd get charged for the 10gigs. I think they should cancel that out by how I stayed under in January.

Oh and guys, what Erin was referring to was http://redboard.rogers.com/2011/rogers-high-speed-internet-customers-not-impacted-by-crtc-decision/ since that is the only redboard entry tagged with user-based billing.

One thing to keep in mind here though: not only are some of Rogers' competitors providing 'Unlimited' (no-cap) options on high speed plans (some with 3-15 Mbps), but the speeds are even at a decent price. It's not necessarily a matter of trading off low-expense plans for high BW users and comparative high cost for speed-based browsers.

Rogers does currently have the monopoly on higher-speed plans as far as I'm aware, the highest I've seen matches your Extreme (15) and I haven't seen anyone offering the 25/50 offered by your EPlus or Ultimates. Yet, the casual browser not viewing movies probably doesn't even have need of these speeds.

Right now, your main appeal to me is your customer support and antivirus technology, because aside from that, competitors are looking more appealing due to these bandwidth caps. Even if I ignored that issue and looked at advertised speeds alone, it still seems better...

Why should I pay $36 for 3Mb when I could get it for $28? Why pay $47 for 10Mb when I can get it for $37? Why pay $60 for 15Mb when I can get it for $43? This is based on speed alone, the lack of bandwidth restrictions pretty much seals the deal.

I'm hesitant to leave because I've got a lot of faith in the company and its reputation and longevity, but still, this BW thing is really icing it. It makes me motivated to gamble on these new startups. Maybe they cut costs with less service or something, but it may be worth it.

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Slayer,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along.

Please keep in mind, our community forums intend to provide a peer-to-peer environment to discuss technical solutions.

Cheers

Yeah what does online time even mean? I'd actually rather wait a tad to dial up and have unlimited BW, thanks.

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

The throttling is also an issue.  But this is being discussed in another thread.

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Bell admits errors tracking clients’ Internet usage

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/935381--bell-admits-errors-tracking-clients-internet-usage?bn=1

If this is happening with Bell, could it also be happening with Rogers? Is there any independent tracking monitor available to check on your bandwidth?

Ressy

I do believe you can use Tomato http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

However, it'll only show what everything hooked up to the Router uses.

It won't count dropped incoming packets by Rogers, which they do count. 

Also remember Rogers' dropping packets also artifically increases your usage - each dropped packet usually requires 1-3 extra packets being sent.  More $$ for Rogers.

RogersHemal
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Currently all internet traffic that we monitor comes directly from the MAC address of your Cable modem.  You do have access to free Bandwidth monitor systems on the internet to install directly on your computer system to track the usage for each machine to gain a better picture.

Here is a example of a free lite application.

http://www.rokario.com/products/bandmon/2-0/

Enigmatic
I Plan to Stick Around

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/181248--shaw-plans-to-charge-for-going-over-internet-limi...

Rogers: your turn to increase the limits....

Bell recently pulled the plug on their download monitoring....and Shaw is delaying implentmenting UBB....

Is Rogers going to look over their ubb/monitoring/caps anytime soon??

RogersErin

Hi Khicken,

We do not discuss our offerings in comparison to other providers.

We are very proud of our network and ability to provide customers with a full selection of superior speeds, bandwidth, value and reliability, regardless of where they live within our footprint.

More information is available at www.rogers.com/internet or you can check out our RedBoard post here.

Thanks

RogersErin

@Enigmatic

Hi there,

I'll look into this for you and send you a PM as soon as I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.

ajtsmiller
I've Been Here Awhile

The bandwidth caps on Rogers are horrible. Luckily teksavvy will soon be available in my area, along with 300GB/unlimited caps.

Patr1
I Plan to Stick Around

@ajtsmiller

You should know that Rogers doesn't have CAPS they have ALLOWANCES.

DWR
I Plan to Stick Around

This article appeared in the Toronto Sun today!

Enigmatic
I Plan to Stick Around

Great article in Toronto Sun - to recap:

CRTC decision and their politics allow Rogers and Bell to charge me four times what the same service costs Americans.

And that is just outragous!

ravonic
I've Been Here Awhile

I go over my cap (80 gigs) almost every month, most months i am charged the maximum of $50 over.  when i go over the $50 max, lets say $87 over. i get a line on my bill that says "savings this month $37", yeah savings nice.   I watch TV online, netflix, school, work stuff, xbox, etc...  these are all common applications for the internet that most people use.  Not only are my applications throttled (working on proving this), i have to pay well over $100/month for my internet.  This needs to change, we are falling behind the rest of the world and it is because of you and your competitors.  raise the allowances so that they compare to the rest of the developed world.  Please.

Patr1
I Plan to Stick Around

@Khicken

The technical term you are searching for is:  TELEVISION  Rogers doesn't want to lose market share of the TV market.  The internet threatens that and that is why over the course of the last five years they have consistantly lowered their cap, er, allowances.  The other technical term you might be searching for is MONEY.  Rogers, like Bell, stands to make a killing off of the over charges once consumers wake to the fact that the internet is more than just email!

@  ravonic

If you are going over by that much every month you should probably upgrade to Extreme Plus to save yourself a bit of money on overage/ubb charges.

I think most on here are aware of Canada's position in the world regading internet pricing/speed/caps etc....

DWR
I Plan to Stick Around

This is also an interesting article relating the cuts in bandwidth to Rogers price increases. I especially like the last paragraph:

"When viewed over several years, the price increase and service drops have been dramatic. In 2006, a Rogers Extreme customer paid $46.95 a month with no bandwidth throttling, Flickr Pro, a free personal web account and an Unlimited bandwidth cap. Today a new customer would need to sign up to Rogers Ultimate service at $100 per month for a 175 GB cap and it would not include the Flickr Pro account."

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/07/rogers-cuts-internet-service-while-keeping-prices-the-same/

The 42 comments also make for interesting reading!

Lar123

I don't know why Rogers offers different speed / bandwidths. Why not just use the same equipment and speed on all accounts and just bill once the customer goes over different cap for the month?

How can the service be advertised as so many MBytes per second when you cannot acheieve that continuously for the advertised price?

Good thing Rogers didn't honour the agreement we had when I signed up, as now I don't have to honour my end of it either.

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

The key cop-out in their side of the contract is the "up to" part of the speed.

I have been running speedtest.net at random times, and very late at night and very early in the morning, I get 10-16Mb/s.  Right now, I'm getting 2Mb/s.  Last night during peak time, I was getting between 2 and 3, but it was as low as 1.5Mb/s at one point.

After my next billing cycle, I'm dropping back from Extreme to Express.  What's the point in having Extreme when I can't use it.  I originally went to Extreme because I was constantly going over my cap in Express.  But if I can't download anything fast enough to watch it, I guess I don't have to worry so much about hitting my cap now. 

It's not advisable to make any changes with Rogers in the middle of a billing cycle, else they screw up the next 3 bills in a row, and it takes numerous calls to the billing department to get it rectified.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats