Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Terrible Bandwidth Caps

I laughed when Netflix finally comes to Canada and Rogers quickly downs the cap on the Lite and Extreme plans. 

"We understand that customers are using the Internet more and more every day. "We’ve therefore set our usage allowances at -very generous- levels"

Yea I'm sure 80GB for a package im paying >$60 for is very generous 😄

Something needs to change...

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Terrible Bandwidth Caps

Agreed with everything said. The problem is not tracking of overuse/overcharges, but the restricted cap limit itself. I'm on Rogers Express, and I find myself not downloading except browsing, yet I still always go over every month. Its ridiculous that I have to stop using the internet for half of the month because of the restrictive cap limit. Its even more ridiculous that the overcharges amount to $2 for every GB used under the express package. Its unjustifiable.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Agreed. I am sure the majority of users do not exceed their caps, but the few that do pay through the nose! On top of that, you could go months without ever exceeding your cap, then the one month you do, they are adding extra to your bill. Sad, they have to resort to this kind of billing!

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Yes... This will cost ROGERS from being my ISP. They have lower bandwidth limits than all their competitors. You think they would be offering more! Sadly they are going in the other direction and the value of their service is going lower and lower.

ROGERS needs to raise their caps to be inline with other ISPs. ROGERS recently seems to be empolying "Pay more for less" moto with regards to Bandwidth Caps/Internet service..

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Ummmm pretty soon every ISP offering Internet services in Ontario will be charging their customers for Internet usage

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I would like to point out to anyone at Rogers who may be listening that not everyone who uses the internet cares about downloading movies and/or music or playing online games. I don't. Yes I download some stuff from Youtube, but none of it exceeds 3 or 4 minutes in length and these are weblogs for the most part. In reality 90% of my bandwidth comes from use for work. I have Ultimate not for the 50Mbps download speed, but the 2Mbps upload speed. I would be far, far happier with 10dn/10up.

As a work from home person I find the current cap on speed can be quite a problem at times and can cause a productivity drop, and no I cannot go to work as I have no office to go to.  Those of you who think how much bandwidth can email or documents use, do not consider software development (which I do) or other technical positions which can cause a tremendous amount of data transfer. I can use up 50GB /month easily with not a single song, movie or game touched on the internet.

Some sort of statement of direction on this from Rogers would be helpful. Thank you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Im on the 60 gb plan, and have been for years, and over the last 6 months or so ive been getting real close to going over. after never being close before that.  The internet has changed alot, and websites are more advanced therefore use more bandwidth.  Also with hd videos and more advanced gaming.  Caps need to incraese to keep up with tech.

another thing is rogersondemand.com which uses huge amounts of bandwidth.  atleast 80gb instead of 60  and 100 for level above.

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@community

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention, we're committed to providing all customers with the best Internet experience possible while maintaining competitive, fair monthly rates that reflect how you choose to use the Internet.

To help manage and monitor usage, we have tools available online so you don’t have to worry about incurring additional charges. Go to  www.rogers.com and log in to My Account to see your usage details.

If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to drop me a PM (private message).

Thanks,

-RogersErin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've used the Rogers.com bandwidth meter on several occasions but always find the site to be extremely slow and busy with all the extraneous advertising that occurs there.  It's frustrating with a Lite acccount and can only cringe at how it must appear to an Ultra-Lite account.  I've sent an email to Rogers with the suggestion that there be an opt in email option to recieve a daily notice of the last days' usage.  It would be nice if they could consider something like that.  As a low bandwidth user anything that lets me manage my accounts through EMAIL would be appreciated.  It would also keep us apprised of our usage when for some odd reason the web interface is not available....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was on Extreme and had to upgrade to $69 Extreme Plus to avoid overusage bills. It's funny, because I do not have need for speed but for bandwitdh. With Netlix, youtube, kids doing homework, play games on the net, noone bothers with TV anymore.

I feel that Rogers and other Telecoms are decreasing the caps to squeeze our more money since population is not watching their TV stuffed with commercials anymore.

Perhaps we should petition Rogers to increase the caps in the similar fashion Open Media petitioned goverment to overthrow the CRTC decision to put the UBB on DSL usage? http://openmedia.ca/meter

Who's with me?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersErin

"We have tools available online so you don’t have to worry about incurring additional charges." These tools, while allowing you to check your Internet usage, in no way ensure that you do not go over your limit. When someone hits their max, it would be impractical for them to simply stop using the Internet for the rest of the month. You are misleading customers as well as deleting comments of people who disagree with you!