Technician replaced modem frequent disconnects...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Technician replaced modem frequent disconnects...

I've been having issues with my connection for a few months now. The connection will drop and the network and sharing center will state that the dns is not responding. This is with high speed extreme cisco modem. The issue would happen randomly 10-20x a day. Went ahead called Rogers they said everything is fine and suggested to exchange the modem which I did. That made no difference I still sufferered from the same issue.

Next I got a technician to come out. He tells me he checked all the wiring/signal then tells me everything looks good. He then hands me a Hitron gateway and says I should try this out then call back if I have issues. Guess what? Same problem if not worse. This thing drops connection 10x more than before. The @ green light which i'm guessing means online blacks out and the down pointing house starts blinking green. I lose connection much more frequently than before around 10-20x an hour. Now i'm sitting here with no idea what to do. I went ahead and called in for another technician which will be here Sunday. I'm most likely going to change providers if this isn't resolved when the next technician arrives. I am looking for suggestions on what might be causing this issue

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Technician replaced modem frequent disconnects...

Drops around hourly, etc have been noted before... Usually head end... But 10 to 20 times an hour is a LOT

The Rogers DNs is not great, and would cause stuff to not resolve on the pc/device if its down, but the modem should still be connected to Rogers (ie when the DNs big outage last year, could still do stuff when using a other providers DNs)

You could try changing the DNs on your device to say google (8.8.8.8) to see if it helps.

If it's back end network otherwise though...

Can understand switching providers. You might want to avoid one that uses the same technology (cable lines) as they rent the usage from Rogers and if it's an infrastructure issue could effect that provider too

I Plan to Stick Around

Why not just tell it like it is? The Rogers gateway modems are just plain garbage - pure and simple. Why is it that so many people resolve these issues by having the wifi modem placed into bridge mode and then use their own routers? Why is that Rogers fails to admit the problems and provide a real solution - the option to use a stand alone D3 modem - one of many on the list approved for iISPs but not for their own customers? WHY?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:
Drops around hourly, etc have been noted before... Usually head end... But 10 to 20 times an hour is a LOT

The Rogers DNs is not great, and would cause stuff to not resolve on the pc/device if its down, but the modem should still be connected to Rogers (ie when the DNs big outage last year, could still do stuff when using a other providers DNs)

You could try changing the DNs on your device to say google (8.8.8.8) to see if it helps.

If it's back end network otherwise though...

Can understand switching providers. You might want to avoid one that uses the same technology (cable lines) as they rent the usage from Rogers and if it's an infrastructure issue could effect that provider too

Thank you for the quick reply. I've tried alternative dns such as Google/opendns/etc didn't help at all. I regret upgrading to extreme when I had the docsis 2 modem I never or rarely had any issues. Ever since I've gotten the docsis 3 its been problem after problem. I won't be going with teksavvy if I have to switch because they use the same lines as Rogers from what I heard 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

TSI has both cable and DSL options, so dont completely rule them out.

As for what Kiwi7 said.. yes the gateways are not very good at all.. and bridging generally is one of the better things to do with the units.

BUT.. that will only help so much and will not help with ALL situations.

I was having hourly dropouts recently.. it was a head end issue.. was eventually resolved.
But durring it, i DID change to bridge mode.  NO difference, still the dropouts.. and made the network layout in my household 2x more difficult (due to the odd layout)

IF something causing it is more head end or infrastructure issue... bridged or no bridged will make no difference.. its network related.. and likely a D3 stand alone modem would act exactly the same way.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

TSI has both cable and DSL options, so dont completely rule them out.

As for what Kiwi7 said.. yes the gateways are not very good at all.. and bridging generally is one of the better things to do with the units.

BUT.. that will only help so much and will not help with ALL situations.

I was having hourly dropouts recently.. it was a head end issue.. was eventually resolved.
But durring it, i DID change to bridge mode.  NO difference, still the dropouts.. and made the network layout in my household 2x more difficult (due to the odd layout)

IF something causing it is more head end or infrastructure issue... bridged or no bridged will make no difference.. its network related.. and likely a D3 stand alone modem would act exactly the same way.

I've called them and spoke to a supervisor to try and get a senior technician to come out. They told me that requires 2-3 visits which makes no sense.... It takes around 1 week for a tech to come out so i'm going to have to wait another 2 weeks just to be eligible for a senior technician to come out...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its VERY unlikely that its local, as long as the last tech checked and signals were ok... that its something local.

That seems like a LONG turn around for a tech though.. where are you located roughly at? (maybe a BUSY area like toronto who is still swamped from the power/ice storm).
Where i am (bout an hour north of toronto, was able to get a tech out for EVENING visits (they go quick), next day (for mon) when i called on sun aft.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Its VERY unlikely that its local, as long as the last tech checked and signals were ok... that its something local.

That seems like a LONG turn around for a tech though.. where are you located roughly at? (maybe a BUSY area like toronto who is still swamped from the power/ice storm).
Where i am (bout an hour north of toronto, was able to get a tech out for EVENING visits (they go quick), next day (for mon) when i called on sun aft.

North York - Toronto. I guess youre right about the delays caused by the icestorm. The tech that came couldnt check the cabling in the backyard because of the ice blocking the gate

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That can be the issue, etc.. if you have suspended lines especially, etc..
Could be something up above there, that may have been damaged and is working speratically,having shorts, etc which could be causing your issues.

Hopefully you can get it resolved!
(wish i could have them send you the tech i had on MON... best tech i have had to date.. was to replace the netgear router for the wireless for the home security system, old one was flakey.  Guy did all the signal checks, checked all boxes/connections while he was there, even though he didnt HAVE to for that call)

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

That can be the issue, etc.. if you have suspended lines especially, etc..
Could be something up above there, that may have been damaged and is working speratically,having shorts, etc which could be causing your issues.

Hopefully you can get it resolved!
(wish i could have them send you the tech i had on MON... best tech i have had to date.. was to replace the netgear router for the wireless for the home security system, old one was flakey.  Guy did all the signal checks, checked all boxes/connections while he was there, even though he didnt HAVE to for that call)

I forgot to mention earlier my brother also has a Rogers extreme line but this is upstairs on the 2nd floor he told me he has no issues with disconnects. Hopefully I get a competent technician this time the last one seemed to want to leave immediately probably because he was behind schedule or because of the -22 temps ;/