Taking over someone's contract

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamanthaP
I'm Here A Lot

Hi there,

I'm looking into getting a newer phone (I have an iPhone 3GS and would like an iPhone 4S), but I don't want to restart my contract.

If I take over someone else's contract, how does that work?

Can I add that line to our contract? If so, does that restart my contract? (I have an account with my husband, and his phone contract still has about 6 months left. However, my contract is currently over, for a while now.)

Can I keep my current/same wireless phone number, if I take over their contract? Couldn't I just put my current SIM card in that phone, and then I would have my same number?

Can I keep my current phone number AND add that phone line to our current account, AND would THAT restart my contract, or would that just be a phone changeover, as if I bought a phone elsewhere?

Also, how fast does the contract takeover/switch take?

I hope someone understands what I'm trying to ask, and I hope someone can answer me soon-ish.

Thank you so very much for all your help.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Taking over someone's contract

Hello SamanthaP

When taking someone else's line, it will be added to your account either on your account number or a new one. It will NOT restart your contract at all. Remember this is another line, you will be billed for this line as well.

When taking over someone else's contract, Rogers will do a credit check on you to see if your okay to do it. Once your cleared, they will transfer the line to u. The owner. Needs to call in and tell them that the line will be transferred to your name.

When taking over the contact, your line and number will stay the same. You will have the number that comes with the contract tho. So you will have 2 numbers. Yours and the one you just transferred.

Yes you can keep both lines on your account and NO it will not restart the term you have.

The transfer can take several hours to happen. Most likely if everything is okay it should take a few minutes to a hour.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SamanthaP

When taking someone else's line, it will be added to your account either on your account number or a new one. It will NOT restart your contract at all. Remember this is another line, you will be billed for this line as well.

When taking over someone else's contract, Rogers will do a credit check on you to see if your okay to do it. Once your cleared, they will transfer the line to u. The owner. Needs to call in and tell them that the line will be transferred to your name.

When taking over the contact, your line and number will stay the same. You will have the number that comes with the contract tho. So you will have 2 numbers. Yours and the one you just transferred.

Yes you can keep both lines on your account and NO it will not restart the term you have.

The transfer can take several hours to happen. Most likely if everything is okay it should take a few minutes to a hour.

View solution in original post

SamanthaP
I'm Here A Lot

Hi MeowMix,

Love your user name. 🙂

Thank you for the swift reply.

One more question. So, I will have my line and the new line, therefore I will have two phone numbers.

Can I take my current SIM card and put it in the new phone and have my same/current phone number, and then cancel the new phone number? In other words, is there a way to end up with this new phone and my same phone number and have only one phone line, if I take over someone else's contract?

Thank you very much!!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SamanthaP

Lol thanks ! 🙂

Your number and account is registered under you. So when getting a new line, it will have another number. Once you do the transfer and get the phone from that person, you can pop in your sim card into the new phone and contact Rogers to cancel the line. If i am not mistaken tho you need to keep the line for a max of 90 days before you cancel the account aka the new line.
SamanthaP
I'm Here A Lot

Hi again,

Sorry, but I would just like to clarify.

I would need to keep the new (taken over) number for at least 90 days? Or, for more than 90 days?

Are the SIM cards the same (size) for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S? I hope so. 🙂

Thank you for your help again,

Samantha

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SamanthaP

The line you transfer to your name needs to stay in for 90 days max on your account before you cancel it. You can contact Rogers after the transfer is done and see what they say but that is what the policy is.

No you will need to get a Micro sim card from Rogers. It will cost $9.99+ tax. Once you buy it, you will need to contact Rogers and active the sim card on your account.
SamanthaP
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you!

One more thing and then I think I have no more questions.

So, I keep the line for 90 days. ... Can I get rid of services on it, so it doesn't cost me too much? Can I cancel voicemail and data plans, etc.? Can I make the services very minimal so I can afford to keep 2 lines?

Thanks!!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello SamanthaP

You are welcome!

Cancelling data will make u cancel the account. Data is the service that keeps the line up. You can remove any add ons or lower the price plan to something smaller!. Contact Rogers retentions and see what they can do!
SamanthaP
I'm Here A Lot

Cool. Thank you very much for all your help.

stoneman13
I've Been Around

I work for my brother who provides me with a cell phone.  He gets billed but my name is also on the contract I believe.  I just got a new job and would like to keep the phone and the phone number.  Can the contract be switched over to my name?