cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV turns on/off repeatedly - no signal from PVR?

kingtosh82
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey everyone.

I've been having this problem with my Samsung TV and/or Rogers PVR. I have programmed my Rogers remote so that when I click the power button, it first turns on my PVR and then my TV. For two years, it has worked completely fine.

Now what happens is that when I click the power button on the remove, the PVR turns on, but the TV turns on and off repeatedly about 4-8 times before actually staying on.

I've tried to fix this problem by always keeping the PVR on and only turning the TV on/off when needed. But what happens is that the Rogers PVR sort of goes into this standby mode when it's not in use, and then when I try to turn the TV on, the same problem occurs (repeated on/off clicks from the TV). It's as if the TV is waiting for the PVR to provide the signal, but there's a delay which causes the TV to repeatedly turn on and off. Obviously this is bad for the TV and I'm almost 100% it has something to do with the PVR.

I have also tried switch from HDMI connection to the RBG cables, but the same problem occurs.

I have another Rogers HD box (non-PVR) in my basement with an LG TV and the problem does not occur.

I purchased my Rogers PVR to avoid the monthly rental fee, and now this happens....

Any suggestions??

***Edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: TV turns on/off repeatedly - no signal from PVR?

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Sounds like you might have the standard issue with the TVs power supply. Google the problem and you will see that it is very similar to what you are describing. If you got an extended warranty with your TV you should have it looked at.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Speedy1701
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Has anything changed in the room that may interfere with the remote infrared signals?

Also, what happens if you disconnect the PVR from the TV and then turn on the TV using the PVR's remote?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Glass front cabinets, etc can interfear with the signal, etc.

Could be the remote itself. The remotes are pretty universal, your one from downstairs will work on the pvr upstairs, and can program to use the tv. If that one does the same you know it's something interfering. If you set main one to do the basement one and it does it there, it could be a botched remote.

mousetamer
Sounds like you might have the standard issue with the TVs power supply. Google the problem and you will see that it is very similar to what you are describing. If you got an extended warranty with your TV you should have it looked at.

kingtosh82
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks mousetamer (and everyone else too!!) for your replies...

Turns out that it was the power supply.  I had a power bar that included the TV, PVR, and Blu-Ray all plugged in.  I took out the TV from the power bar and plugged it in directly to the wall.  Now the TV turns on like it's supposed to.

Thanks again!!!

you were overloading your circuit, thats all, glad to hear its solved

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.. thanks for the update, didnt think of that 🙂

A normal house circut SHOULD have enough, proof by pluging it into the wall, that the outlet is getting enough of a feed.  Must be a flakey power bar then.
I would sugest going out and buying a new one (dont have to spend $200 on a monster one.. but get a better than cheepie one).  All in all, just to have the surge protection.. protect it from getting fried from a power surge 🙂

4Foot
I've Been Around

I am afraid that you have come down with a known problem with Samsung Flat screens. My 3 year old 32 inch did this and yes, plugging it into the wall directly helped for a while but it kept coming back and getting worse. Usually starts with TV turning on and off several times shortly after initial start. Once warm, seems OK. Graduates to random turn off and even more random turn on. ie: It would shut itself off at 10:30 in the evening and then come back on at 2:00 AM!

The good news is that if you have the right model with a USB connector you can upgrade the firmware with a USB thumb drive easily to fix this. The bad news is that my own, even though I had the upgrade capability, was not that particular model that could be fixed this way. Samsung support as much as laughed at me and just said, "yes, you can upgrade the software but on your unit it will NOT fix the problem. My research showed this to be a very widespread problem with Samsung TV's.

They know, and they don't seem to care or will not take ownership of the problem. I took ownership and put the **bleep** thing at the end of my driveway for the midnight scroungers to take. I then registered my displeasure by buying a Panasonic replacement TV and cancelling a planned Galaxy III purchase. No more Samsung in our household. 

YMMV of course. Good luck

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. Oscar Wilde

mousetamer
That is what I was talking about. I work in retail and we have a service shop that has been dealing with this board problem for a few years. Its not that all Samsung's have it, but the problem you are describing sounds like the early stages of the board failure.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Phew, makes me glad I bought the lg over the Samsung when I got my last one.

At least with some of the newer smart tvs that are Internet connected, can do the firmware updates automatically, I see them regularily on my lg.

I guess for cases like these, the few $ investment more for a smart tv might be worth it.
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation