TV shows running over the hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: TV shows running over the hour

The old guide, which I'm using with my 8300, does that too now I see. Just looking The Big Bang Theory on CTV tonight, it says 8:00-8:31. It has that on Zap2it as well, but there's a slight difference in the description, so that's not where Rogers gets it from. The thing is, if I were recording that show followed by 2 other shows on different channels beginning at 8:30, it probably wouldn't work unless I delayed the start of one of those shows by a minute. I don't know if I like the channels tweaking the start and end times off the exact hour or half hour.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, I just discovered a new problem with the change to scheduling shows to start or end a minute off the houror half hour.

I'm looking at my scheduled recordings and see that I'm scheduled to record Rookie Blue tonight from 10:00 to 11:00 on Global. I press the INFO button to see the episode description and it's blank. This usually happens when for some reason the show is not on at its scheduled time, so I check the Guide. Well, the guide says it's on and it's a new episode, but it does not show up red, even though I've scheduled it to record. Then I see the guide says it's on from 10:01 to 11:00! So I select it to record on this channel, this day, this time slot. Now I'm wondering how many other scheduled shows I've missed recording because of Rogers pulling this one minute stunt.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wife ran into this.

That schedule was set before the change? Because of the 'slot' change, it doesn't find it properly. 😞

Once re-set should record ok, but a real pain in the rear!

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I've just started seeing this very recently on my 8300 and I believe you have one as well? It looks like Rogers is never going to fix not being able to see the description of a program while playing back a recording either, which seems to only affect the 8300. People here with the Netboxes don't seem to have that problem.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have the NetBox PVR, but with the old guide, and I can't see the description when playing back a recorded show.

I'm an Advisor

mfait:

Aha! So it's because of the old guide. Thanks for posting that.

I'm a Senior Advisor

That must be a drawback with the "old" guide, that it won't recognize a program if Rogers messes with the exact start and stop times.

But maybe it's not Rogers that's doing it, but the originating network. Just checking on Zap2it I see it's CBS that'sdoing it and it transfers over to Global when it has the same shows. The trouble is it's not consistent and you have to check every show you've scheduled to make sure it will be recorded. I just hope it stays consistent for the same shows week to week.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

That must be a drawback with the "old" guide, that it won't recognize a program if Rogers messes with the exact start and stop times.

Not sure that its a drawback of the old guide.  Recording as "first run on this channel" should get around the time change.

What got us recenlty was the some shows had minor title changes and there did not match the record title and therefore did not record.  We had to setup the recording again.

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

I like to watch W5 on CTV and have it set up to record all showings just to make sure I don't miss it. Recently, I noticed it wasn't recording, but CTV News said it was on following the newscast. I check the guide and found out the name was changed from W5 to W Five. I really don't understand why people play with titles of programs like this. There's no benefit and it just screws things up. This used to be a big problem a few years back, but I haven't seen it until this one came along.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Unless you are away from home for a week or more the best way to avoid missing a show is to take about two minutes each day to manually set up the following day's recordings.

Me, I usually take about ten minutes each week and manually set up my recordings for that week. It really doesn't take all that long and haven't missed anything yet.