TV channels missing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: TV channels missing

Andrew, I know this is not YOUR fault but perhaps you can pass along to your internal teams. Why is Rogers so unreliable? - phone, Internet, TV, and wireless. My father-in-law has been with one of your competitors for years and has never experienced an outage. This is the 3rd outage for me in the last 2 months. I'm very seriously considering switching. How Rogers ever claimed to be "reliable" for any of their services boggles my mind.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Every provider may have outage.. some areas maybe more than others based on provider.  Mine is very stable here.

But in the end, it is your choice, as to which provider you go with, you have to do what is right for you.  Hopefuly they will have less outages for you.

I'm Here A Lot

yes every company has technical issues from time to time its how they handle them that makes the difference and yes we all have the choice to switch companies as long as your not in prison,
also I like pie and the sky is blue.
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
- Erwin Rommel (Wüstenfuchs ( The Desert Fox)
I Plan to Stick Around

Update: Everything seems to be fine today, all channels accounted for none scrambled.
I've Been Around

Hello,

I have been having problems with missing TV channels for the last few months.  Based in Richmond Hill.  Notable channels lost are AMC (39) and PEACH (49).  Called Rogers and they sent in a tech, who measured something at the cable input and then proceeded to install new cable from the point of entry into the house.  This did not solve the problem, so the tech then pronounced that the signal-to-noise level shown on the PVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300) for the problem channels was too low and that there had to be a problem with the PVR itself and that I would need to buy or rent a new one.  The problem channells all seemed to be using the same carrier frequency of 507MHz.  What I did not understand about this interpretation was the need to install new cable?  Something must not have looked right to the tech to cause him to go to this effort?

Anyway, just over a week ago, the channels miraculously re-appeared: nothing had been done to the PVR since the original problem was observed. Everything was good for about a week and I thought thjngs were back to normal, but then at the weekend the same channels disappeared again, occasionally almost working with very pixellated images on the screen and fragmented sound.

Any ideas?  Does this really sound like a malfunctioning PVR unit, or something in the Rigers signal provision?

Thanks for reading.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Likely IS signal related.. but may be more from the head end.. rather than on your end.'

I Plan to Stick Around

I have noticed something strange last week or so. I am getting messages on certain channels that this channel is currently not available please check back later. All channels that are part of my package, but no particular pattern and random at to how long they were unavailable. Just a few channels at any one time. For example Fashion TV was unavailable at 9:30 pm but back when I checked at 10:10 pm. I assumed it was a network wide issue. I have never seen this before. PS I live in Brantford ON.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I myself have seen the 'not available' message, when there is not enough signal for the box to poll the other end, to see if it DOES have access to that channel.

EG: at a co workers.. where they had a spliter out of the wall one to digital box, other to a VCR.  Remove the splitter, the warning went away and channels back.

So usually, something like that, is signal related.  Even if you have not changed anything.. could be something as simple as a spliter has burned out, etc..  Get a tech out to check everything.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks GdKitty, appointment made but I've just never seen anything like it in all the years I have had cable and digital cable.Something happened yesterday morning which may be totally irrelevant, if the cable and internet servers are separate,  but my security software alerts me to when an attempt is made to change the IP address which Rogers does from time to time, I did not  recognize the number range but went for it and decided to trace it afterwards and it was a  Rogers IP Address from Orleans, Ontario near Ottawa where it appears Rogers has been having a lot of issues with of late. Normally of course the IP Address originates from Brantford where I live. Does this mean I am being served by a server that is farther away? Something wrong with the server here? Though I have not noticed any issues with the internet.   Then I noticed last night the problem with the unavailble channels was worse than ever, more channels missing and not seeming to be returning or only for short bursts.

I just noticed Rogers has had a lot of issues and outtages lately more than it seems it has had in a long long time along with the digging I am seeing around the neighbourhood, but I guess they'll never admit that to us if something else is going on.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This has been happening to me for the past 2 months. Random channels and sometimes specific channels such as g4tech are black and say that the channel is unavailable. My internet has also been cutting in and out over the past 2 months. I'm having a rogers tech come out tommmorow to fix the issue, hopefully.