TV Shuts Off

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

TV Shuts Off

TV shuts off randomly and then restarts.  Is this another Nextbox 2.0 issue?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: TV Shuts Off

The tv shuts off? Or the Rogers box.

If there was a forced update that went out it might restart it.

Other than the 1-2 am, or the once in a blue moon forced update (major bug fixes), no it shouldn't just randomly restart.

I haven't really heard of anyone having this as a current ongoing issue currently with it.

May be a bad box.

I'm Here A Lot

Just the TV and it only started about a month ago.  This is my 3rd Nextbox. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello scotty

I have never heard this happen before. How is the box connected to your tv? It could be a TV issue from what it looks like. Also if you are using a HDMI cord, which kinda is it ( Name wise)
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. if its just the TV.. not so sure its the nextbox then.. sounds more like a TV issue.

Question.. do you program the rogers remote to do your TV on /off as well?
If yes.. i would go swap the remote for a new one, unprogrammed, and NOT program it to your TV..  i am wondering if its some how when doing other stuff, sending a POWER OFF command to the TV as well.

I'm Here A Lot

Rocketfish HDMI.  Been using this one for quite a while with no issues.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes, the remote is programmed to switch on/off the TV and box at the same time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Really at this point.. its process of elimination.

Try swaping the HDMI cable if you can.. some TVs support power on/off and other commands via HDMI.. while i dont think the rogers box sends these commands.. COULD be interpreting them wrong.  Worth looking to see if there is a setting to turn this off if there is one in the TV.

Swaping the remote, keeping it unprogrammed, and try that.

That you have had 3 boxes.. i dont think its the box specificaly doing it... or at least on purpose (in the case of the TV mis interpreting a signal, etc)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Could the tv be overheating now?  I believe some newer tv's have a thermal shutdown chip that will turn the tv off before it becomes "cooked" to somewhat save the tv.

Means the tv is on its way out... could be as simple as replacing thermal paste on any heat sinks that might be inside the set.

I myself have had MANY MANY boxes, and still do have a decent combination of boxes... and not one of them ever caused my tv to shut off. 

Also, remove the batteries from the remote when watching (or ensure brand new batteries are installed) to rule that out.