cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Guide Never Updates

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

I still see the old fashioned guide.  The one where you can change the colors  - Roller Rink, etc.  I don't mind, but when people come to my house they always comment on it.  For some reason I never get any updates.  

***Edited Labels***

17 REPLIES 17

Re: TV Guide Never Updates

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisCross What box do you have? What area do you live in?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

All Rogers Technicians can suggest is to unplug for 5 minutes. Never works.  I don't mind the colorful guide actually, I'm used to it.

Hoping ou have rebooted the box already?

Beyond that.. my guess is siganl related.. that its not communicating with the back end.

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@ChrisCross  Do you have the Scientific Atlanta 8300 box?  If so - it will NOT be getting the Navigatr guide. 

And believe it or not - if you ever try the new Navigatr interface - you may be happy to still be able to use the old (SARA) interface on the 8300 box.

If you ever DO get Navagatr - please come back here and let us know what you think of it.

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

Definitely signal related.  I purchased the HDTV Box 3 years ago.  Rogers wants me to buy or rent a new box... instead of sending a technician to my home to sort out signal from basement.  I was with Bell at my other residence... they're just as indifferent.

I actually posted wondering if anyone else still got the old fashioned colorful guide.  

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

So does your box say Nextbox on the front of it?  Which model box is it?

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

As I pointed out in my post - I haven't received an update in 3 years.  Still with the old fashioned colour guide, blue or green or whatever colour I choose from the selection.

If I purchased a Scientific Atlanta 8300 brand new box - I'd still see the old style TV guide as it's a signal issue.

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

Purchased 3 years ago.  Explorer HD.  It's the signal not the box that's the issue. 

TheArcher
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like you  may have a Nextbox 2 (8642) with SARA firmware installed. 

Consider yourself lucky and stick with it.

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

That's exactly the box I have.  Purchased 3 years ago.  To receive the updates to TV guide Rogers wants me to purchase or rent a new box from them.  But I don't mind the fact that the guide never updates - it's a topic of conversation whenever I have visitors and many don't like the new look anyway.  

Everything else works fine. I can record 90 hours.  And setting recordings is a breeze.  Friends have complained the new system for setting recordings is complicated.  I also prefer the 'Search' option on the old guide.

There is no reason that the old guide (SARA) shouldnt be updating on that box.

Have you had a tech out to check on the signal levels? Could be as simple as a bad splitter or something... a quick fix.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisCross The SA8300 still has the old SARA Guide. With the 8642 there was the option to upgrade to the newer RTN Guide, but once you did, there was no going back if you didn't like it. The old guide updates just fine on my 8300 and there's no reason why it shouldn't on your 8642. It could be a signal or bad splitter issue. There is no reason why Rogers should come fix it.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisCross wrote:

Purchased 3 years ago.  Explorer HD.  It's the signal not the box that's the issue. 

Is there a model number on the front of the box?  8300 perhaps?  Is the box silver in colour?

The problem may not be the signal.   We just need a straight answer to the questions.  Telling us when you bought it isn't helping.

ChrisCross
I Plan to Stick Around

Model number 8642.  The box is black.  This is the box in the  family room.

Model number 4642.  The box is black.  This is the box in the  bedroom.

Both boxes do NOT receive updates and I still see the old style TV guide with bright colors ( e.g. I can choose the background colors - roller rink, etc.)   Also, on demand channels never load - which is probably a good thing and saves me money.

Hi @ChrisCross

Thanks for posting in the Community Forums.

We’d like to take a closer look into this for you.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps the next time you are online and we can assist you further.

@RogersPrasana

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisCross wrote:

Both boxes do NOT receive updates and I still see the old style TV guide with bright colors ( e.g. I can choose the background colors - roller rink, etc.)   Also, on demand channels never load - which is probably a good thing and saves me money.

Perfect.  Exactly what we needed.  Yeah, this sounds like a signal issue, especially with the On Demand not working.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisCross wrote:

Okay, so you have the old SARA guide that looks like this:

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/LTJ_photos/7d154e23.jpg

As I said earlier, a (couple?) of years ago there was the option to update to the more "modern" RTN guide like this:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/5/1/6/1/3/0/i/1/0/7/o/Interactive_TV_Guide.jpg

If you are in one of the experimental areas testing the Navigatr  guide, your RTN guide would have updated to Navigatr (or as those who have been getting it report, "downgraded"). But if you have the old SARA guide, it won't change.

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 in conversation