TV Goes Black and stays black when changing channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

TV Goes Black and stays black when changing channels

So I have a problem when i change Channels from an HD Channel to an SD Channel. The Image goes black and stays black but I can still hear the sound. If I turn the tv off and back on, its ok until i change the channel again (from HD to SD.)

This is when I have an HDMI Cable plugged in.

It does NOT DO THIS WHEN : I Change from a SD Channel to another SD, or when I run my componant cables instead of the HDMI cable.

I have tried 2 different hdmi cables and different hdmi ports on the tv.

At the present time I just watch TV with the componant cables and have 0 issues but I did want to try and resolve the hdmi cable issue.

I have the motorola pvr settop box and my tv is a Phillips LCD (50FPL 3707). 

Any one have any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: TV Goes Black and stays black when changing channels

Have you tried rebooting the box? Unpluging it from the back and waiting for a few minutes and plug it back in. If u have tried that, did u contact Rogers cable tech support to see if they cab troubleshoot the problem and see why its happening?This has never happened to me at all.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

your box is sending different picture mode to your tv when u change channels from sd to hd and vice a versa and its corrupting the hdcp/hdmi data stream.  your best bet is to check the stb owners guide and set it to a fixed output resolution of 1080i or 720p instead of a variable mode like you have already hope this helps

I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix : I Have not tried rebooting yet. I will give that a shot.

Pauly : I didn't receive any owner guide with the stb, only some quick set up one pager type thing. Do you know if you can find the guide on the Rogers website? Also if I do set the output resolution if I set it to 1080i for example will it cause problems with I watch tv in SD?

Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.

I Plan to Stick Around

FYI Pauly, I finally found the user guide online and downloaded it. Reading through it now.

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it would not cause problems if u keep a box in fixed output lets say 1080i

the box would upconvert the 480i signal and it will still look decent.  right now your tv is doing the upcoverting because its constantly receiving different resolution signals when u change channels, putting more work on the tvs upconverter, and it causes the screen to black out at times. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Rebooted the stb that didn't resolve it.

I managed to find the stb menu and here's how it was set up :

TV type : 16:9

HDMI / YPbPR output :  1080i (this is the one I thought I would have to set to 1080i, but it already is)

4:3 override : 480i

...as i mentioned above i thought i had to change the HDMI / YPbPR output but it is already set at 1080i. Setting it to 720 was mentionned but wouldn't changing it to 720 mean if I watched an HD channel I would not get it in 1080? only in 720?

in the mean time I did change the 4:3 override to Stretch (and also tried changing it to off) and although I didn't think it would do anything, it "seems" to have resolved my problem.

....make any sense to you guys?

I've Been Around

I had this problem too.  You need to go into your settings menu on your pvr/box and choose "fixed" under picture settings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is a good solution.

THis does seem to be hit and miss though.  Alot of this comes down to the TV and how it interprets the signal.

My previous TV, it would switch fine, but you could hear an audible click as it switched between viewing modes.  My current TV it works fine as well.
But other TVs it seems to have an issue.

Order Now!
UFC 246: McGregor vs. Cerrone Live
LIVE: Saturday, January 18th 10:00 PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of January 16th

He's back! Irish superstar Conor McGregor makes his return to the Octagon on January 18, and he's kicking off 2020 with a welterweight showdown against the man with the most wins in UFC history, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Returning to action for the first time since October 2018 in the main event of UFC 246, the two-division champion from Dublin known as "The Notorious" one wants to make a statement against Albuquerque action hero Cerrone, who has picked up five post-fight performance bonuses in his last five bouts.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation