T.V tuner

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

T.V tuner

If I have a Home Theater P.C with a digital T.V tuner, could I use it instead of a Scientific Atlanta digital receiver? 

***Edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: T.V tuner

I think you need both.  I have a PC with a TV Tuner that I connect a Rogers HD Digital box and it works fine together.

A corollary question to anyone else... can I connect the Rogers box to a USB TV Tuner into a laptop and watch using Media Centre?

For example, like this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4146195&CatId=1427

Thanks.

I Plan to Stick Around

as long as you have RCA input on your Laptop or TV tuner you can use Rogers box with it. but I would not recommend HD Box unless you have HD TV Tuner & it has component or HDMI input.. reason it will not give you HD quality picture so no point wasting money.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers uses Encrypted QAM channels. a TV Tuner card for the PC (such as winTV) will not work with the digital QAM channels on Rogers. 

It does work on Cogeco Cable though, as they leave the BASIC channel un-encrypted. and can use a TV or TV-tuner card to view them in Digital.

With Rogers having Encrypted the QAM channels, only the cisco/SA STB's issued by rogers and active on account can view a channel. You can connect the STB to the TV-Tuner card using 480i SD analog connection but will loose all benfits to digital cable quality.

Just get a Rogers PVR if you want to record Rogers shows to watch later.

or connect your TV-Tuner PC card to a over-the-air antanna and get any ATSC stations that are in range.

Alternatively if live in areas serviced by Cogeco, you can enjoy Digital stations on your TV-Tuner PC card or HDTV.