Switching from android to iphone 5

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Switching from android to iphone 5

So I have a sony ericsson but was looking into buying an Iphone 5 on amazon that says locked to rogers. Will it work if I just pop my sim card out of my sony and put it into my iphone? Or do I need to go to rogers, pay an early upgrade fee and buy the iphone 5 from them..

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Switching from android to iphone 5

Hello fallonbalshin

You need to get a Nano Sim card from Rogers. This is the ONLY sim card that can work for the iPhone 5. It will cost $9.99 + tax.

I would also suggest to make sure this is truly a locked to Rogers sim card. Ask for the S/N or the IMEI number from the seller & contact Rogers or Apple & see. This is something many should know before buying a phone.

Also if you ask for the IMEI number, here is Rogers warranty website. If this a truly Rogers iPhone 5, it will show warranty info for this device based on the Rogers network. ONLY IMEI numbers that are connected with Rogers can work with this.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WARRANTY&_nfls=true&&outOfWarranty_1_1...
I've Been Here Awhile

So I go to rogers and ask for the nano sim card.. and this sim card is still attached to my account? So I won't have to change my plan or pay an upgrade fee? Just the sim card fee?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello fallonbalshin

Your sim card now will be deactivated once you activate a new sim card. The old sim card can not be used after. So you will need to buy a new sim if you go to another phone.

Yes you buy a new sim card, you will have to contact Rogers or the rep at the store to add it into your account. This can be done if you buy the sim card at a Rogers store or Future shop / Best Buy. The ONLY fee you pay is to buy the sim card. There is no fee for activating a new sim on your account.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

I often go between my iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.

iPhone 5 uses a nano sim and the Nexus 4 uses a micro sim (bigger)

I only keep a nano sim card for my account.

What I do when switching to my Nexus 4, is that I use a sim card adapter.

I bought it online here:

http://nano-sim-adapter-shop.com

Works flawlessly.

regards,

Jeff

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jefflessard

That is true BUT i need to remind u that some of then can damage the sim card slot. This has been said many time's.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, just make sure you dont leave the empty adapter (without the sim in it) in the phone.  I did once and it got stuck (would not come out)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jefflessard

Exactly. That u will need have it repaired or open the phone and fix it and take it out. I would recommend the adapter but read the manual and know what you are doing before using it.