cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from BB to iPhone

Bsakka
I've Been Around

Hi,

I currently have 3 wireless phones under a shared plan. One of the phones is a blackberry bold 9900 which has the bb social networking plan. I want to switch that blackbery for an iphone. So my questions are:

1) Will the blackberry social plan work with the iphone? If not can I still keep it and just not use data? And if I have to switch it, whats the cheapest plan I can get?

2) Does the sim card from the bold 9900 work on the iphone?

3) Will this effect/remove the phone from the shared plan?

Thank you

******* Edit labels ********

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Switching from BB to iPhone

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Pauly is correct that the Blackberry Social Networking plan will not work on an iPhone but I dont think you will be charged Pay Per Use browsing. It's more likely that it won't work or you will be requested to Buy a Data Day Pass.

But you don't NEED a data plan for the iPhone and if you want to leave the plan as is that will not change the plan or harm the phone. Only downside is you will be paying for the data that you cant use.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yes the social plan will work for iPhone. I have the 6GB blackberry data add on & i used it with my iPhone 4S.

No you need to go buy a micro sim card for a iPhone 4 / 4S. BUT you can use the same sim card from your bold on a iPhone 3G / 3GS. ( the iPhone 4 /4S use a micro simcard. They will cost you 11 with taxes from a Rogers store or any store that sells Rogers simcards.

No it will not effect the phone if you remove phone from a plan or a a shared plan.

Senna
I Plan to Stick Around

When I switched to my iPhone from my Blackberry, it was very easy to do but I did call Rogers and they were able to move my plan over no problem!

Good luck and enjoy your new iPhone! I won't look back now that I've made the switch 🙂

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
the blackberry social networking plan does NOT incldue surfing, it will NOt work on other devices, if you do you might get charged pay per use rates.

switch to a blackberry plan that includes surfing ie bucket of data.

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Pauly is correct that the Blackberry Social Networking plan will not work on an iPhone but I dont think you will be charged Pay Per Use browsing. It's more likely that it won't work or you will be requested to Buy a Data Day Pass.

But you don't NEED a data plan for the iPhone and if you want to leave the plan as is that will not change the plan or harm the phone. Only downside is you will be paying for the data that you cant use.

Cheers!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

instead of paying for a data plan you cant use, maybe you can call up customer service and see where you can safe some money, maybe they can offer you a smaller data plan like the $10/100mb one? that is if it is compatible.

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello, I am switching from my Torch to an iPhone out of contract. 

I currently have social networking and 500mb of data. Would social networking like FB, Twitter etc. apps still be unlimited on the iPhone?

Would I need to phone in telling them I'm doing the switch?

Thanks alot!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

on the iphone they would come out of the 500mb bucket of data.

you can not easily have something unlimited and something else metered on an iphone.   you technically cant have it on blackberry either, not sure how it was possible for you?

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

I have switched to the iPhone. Text messaging, phone works but data doesn't.. and this error pops up.

'Could not activate cellular data network'

Should I phone rogers and tell them I switched to the iPhone?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

are you sure you have a data plan? check the features of your account and report back to us

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I do have a data plan... 

I could access the internet on my Torch, but when switching to the iPhone I cannot access the internet.

I have the unlimited social networking plan along with 500mb of data. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its not possible to have an unlimited social networking plan along with a data plan, it will cause a conflict.  so perhaps thats why it is not working? Call up Customer Service and have them look into it.

Re: Switching from Blackberry to iPhone

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

I just checked online for the actual plan and oddly enough, I don't have unlimited social networking. All this time I thought I did!

BB Student Plan w/UNC
Unlimited Eve & Wknd Minutes
6pm Early Evenings
200 Weekday Minutes

Included with My Plan
500MB Data option
Detailed Billing
Unlimited Network Calling
Messaging Bundle Unlimited
Call Forward/Trans.Pay Per Use 

Guess it's only the 500mb Data plan. 

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

It says 

'Could not activate cellular data network   You are not subscrived to a cellular data service' 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would still just call up Customer Service.  This seems like an account level related issue, where only they have the tools to diagnose and  correct it.

I've so far given you great advice and you have even discovered something new about your account.  Congrats!

Now all you have to do is check with Customer Service, as maybe the APN's 1 and 2 are not initialized correctly on your profile,  since you only had a BlackBerry, you were most likely using  APN3 only.     Just ask them to troubleshoot it, and maybe suggest a Re-Send to Switch.

Hope This Helps.

MacWilson
I've Been Here Awhile

Any follow up? Were you able to keep your contract as it was, or do you have to pay more now?

Im about to try the same thing exept from a BB unlimited plan, and changing to a iPhone 4s

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you a lot for all the help, Pauly.

Well here's the story if anyone out there is doing the same thing I'm doing...

After trying everything on the web, I just decided to phone Rogers. First mistake was phoning customer service, they redirect you to people that are of no help when it comes to techinical issues, and the whole time (30 minutes) the lady was trying to push me onto another plan that was far worse with it costing 20 more dollars.

I got fed up at that point and remembered in a post I was reading, said to contact Techincal Support well I asked the lady to redirect me to techinical support. The lady that I was directed to knew the problem instantly and fixed it in 5 minutes. She told me when I switched phones, rogers side saw I wasn't using a Blackberry anymore and 'blocked' data. I had to turn off my phone, she did some stuff, I turned it on and all data is working.

Perfect !

Namtaro
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh and my Unlimited Social Networking only works on Blackberries. If I'm on the iPhone, I'm using Data from my 500mb Data pool.

just happened to me as well... rogers blackberry 500mb plans are only compatible with blackberrys so i had to switch plans. theres a promo on right now 6gb data plan with all the same other unlimited stuff and 200 mins and my 10 canada wide for 60 bucks a month and i did a mini voicemail and caller id add on for 7 bucks so with tax its 75 a month (only 3 bucks more then what i was originally paying cuz i had a 12 dollar voicemail and caller id pack)

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation