Switching SIM Cards between iPhones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
white_Dragon
I've Been Here Awhile

Switching SIM Cards between iPhones

hello all, this is my first post here on this forumn.

I've recently just bought an iPhone 4s 64gb from rogers via Wirelesswave for $500 with a 3 year contract less than a week ago. Now i've noticed (in my opinion) that this phone doesnt neccesarily compare much with the older version of the iPhone 4.

My question is, would i be able to sell this iPhone 4s directly to someone else, and purchase a new iPhone 4, without taking any penalties to my data/contract?

I am wondering if i could just take out the SIM card on my existing iPhone 4s and then placing it into an iPhone 4.

Also, if i do manage to sell the iPhone 4s, and buy a brand new iPhone 4, would i need to go to Rogers to have it unlocked before i can use it and will i get in trouble for doing that?

Thanks in advance!

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Switching SIM Cards between iPhones

Honestly its your choice. You can sell your iPhone 4S on kijiji & places like that for more then $400 since its brand new just barely used. Most people will sell a iPhone 4 used for around 400 mark, maybe less if you are lucky.

I would suggest tho if you have not gone over the 30 mins just go give it in & get a iPhone 4 for $99.99 (16gb)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

You can return the iPhone 4S AND get a brand new iPhone 4 if you have not used more the 30 mins nd ur are under the 15 day policy.

If you are going to sell it to someone and get a brand new iPhone 4 from someone else then no you will NOT have any penalties from Rogers for that.

Yes you can use the same sim card that you used with the iPhone 4S.

Also NO Rogers will not unlock the phone from you unless you bought the phone from them and you are almost done your contract.
Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you return it and get your $500 back you can buy an unlocked iPhone4 from Apple for $549 and you would have no contract.
white_Dragon
I've Been Here Awhile

hey guys thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

I've got a question about the return policy. The return policy states that i can only refund it if i have used it for less than 30 minutes of talk time but what if i did not use my data to talk but rather facetime over wifi for over 30 minutes? is it still eligible for a refund?

And also, if i buy an unlocked phone from someone else, can i say that once i put my sim card onto the new phone, everything will resume as normal? (i.e the data charge, contract, etc etc)

Thanks

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Nope because it was over WIFI. Data & talk time only are for the plan you picked. So yes you are still eligible for the refund. All they will do is check if you used any mins from the IMEI number from the computer.

& yes once you get a unlocked phone from someone everything will be the same as before. You just have a new or used phone that is all.
white_Dragon
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, does anyone think it is a good idea to sell my phone to someone else and buy a regular iPhone 4 for a cheaper price?
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Honestly its your choice. You can sell your iPhone 4S on kijiji & places like that for more then $400 since its brand new just barely used. Most people will sell a iPhone 4 used for around 400 mark, maybe less if you are lucky.

I would suggest tho if you have not gone over the 30 mins just go give it in & get a iPhone 4 for $99.99 (16gb)

View solution in original post

white_Dragon
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the response. now if i do happen to buy an iPhone 4 from somebody else, would they still be able to retrieve any info or have any information left on the phone?

Also, if i wanted to buy an iphone 4 from someone else, would i want to purchase an unlocked one or a rogers locked one?

And Rogers wouldnt care if i was using a different iphone than the iphone 4s that i purchased at the store right.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you buy a phone from someone else. The phone they will give you most likely ( 99% chance) it will be factory reset & you will need to put your own stuff since they have nothing on it of theirs. No they will not receive anything since you are putting your OWN sim card in it.

It all depends. If you are going to stay with Rogers then buy a Rogers locked one. If you are going to leave Rogers for another carrier then buy a unlocked one.

Yes Rogers will not care since they have not reason too. I have bought over 20 different phones which have been unlocked & used on Rogers network. Rogers will not ask you what phone you are using. The only thing is that if your phone breaks or has issues Rogers will not cover the warranty since you never bought it from Rogers.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have purchased an unlocked phone for reasons of travel. It is much cheaper to get a local carrier in the location of travel instead of paying for the rogers roaming packages. But if your not traveling and not planning on switching carriers then a locked phone is fine.