Switching Phones - not carriers still on Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Switching Phones - not carriers still on Rogers

So I currently have an HTC one M8 on a 2 yr contract and I want to get my son a 2 yr contract iPhone 6 for Rogers.

Is it possible to switch sim cards since they are both Nano sim and get the number/line on the switched phone?

Say I switched my HTC one m8 with his iphone 6 and kept my sim card and he kept his and transfered  the sim cards to the phones we switched,  Will he get his number on the one M8 I gave to him and my number on the iPhone I recieved from my son?   

From what I understand locked phones can't be used in other carriers but since we are on the same carrier it's easy to switch sim cards right? 

I don't really want to pay $100 to get both our phones unlocked since I intend to stay on this carrier. 

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Switching Phones - not carriers still on Rogers

That is not an issue at all, nor is there any need to get your phones unlocked as long as you remain with Rogers. Once you switch SIM cards, your phone will automatically become your son's phone and his phone will become your phone. I have done this on a few occasions and never had an issue.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

That is not an issue at all, nor is there any need to get your phones unlocked as long as you remain with Rogers. Once you switch SIM cards, your phone will automatically become your son's phone and his phone will become your phone. I have done this on a few occasions and never had an issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I switched from a BlackBerry 9360 and got an unlocked Q10. I put my new micro sim card in and swithced sim cards on my online profile; phone and text work perfect, however, when I leave my house wifi i loose my BBM. i try to send a bbm while I'm out and it doesn't send till I get home and my wifi connects.

Any help would be appreciated... thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wowgow,,

Likely the reason is your PLAN and you will have to change it around.

(and this would go for ANY carrier)

The 9360 data, goes through BIS (blackberry internet service) its own sort of segrigated data network for the older blackberries.
When they switched over to the 10 series, all blackberries go over a REGULAR data plan data, and not BIS.
The phone likely wont communicate data on the Q10 as its set to do BIS, and not regular data.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I think i understand your issue, when bbm isn't working on your new Q10, just a question. Did you add your current blackberry ID to the new Q10. IDo you see the blackberry logo on the phone when your on cellular? Did you turn on your cellular data? Are you able to browse when on LTE/4G/3G? 

What your describing sounds like your cell data is not turned on. Also just to test turn off your wifi and only leave your cell data enabled. If your data plan is working and you can browse you should be able to access bbm.

If your blackberry Q10 is unlocked, its possible you would need to program the Rogers APN settings on the device:

Go into your settings>Networks & Connections> then click on mobile network which should show rogers> make sure data is enabled, also at the bottom on the black bar you should see apn with a gear icon. Click on the gear and make sure you have the following in the fields below

APN: ltemobile.apn

Username: wapuser1

Password: wap

authentication type: pap

with this info you can authenticate on the rogers data network properly with an unlocked device and it should work right away.