Switching From Rogers to Fido, Monthly Plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Switching From Rogers to Fido, Monthly Plan

I currently have a monthly plan from Rogers (I brought in my own phone) so I am not locked into a contract. I want to switch to Fido as I'm not using the full data usage I'm allowed and really just paying more than I need to because of that. 

Now I'm assuming I have to give Rogers 30 days notice. How should I do this to minimize the overlap with billing from Rogers and Fido and of course keeping my number?

I'm worried that if I go to Fido right away and open and account with them, my number will be ported over just fine but I'll be billed from both Fido and Rogers for the next 30 days.

I know this type of question has been asked a lot but most of what I've found is from people who want to cancel a contract early, which is not the case for me (I hate contracts).

Any help someone can provide would be great, thanks!

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Switching From Rogers to Fido, Monthly Plan

Hello rp22

Once you go to Fido and port over your number, your Rogers account will stop working that moment as the number has been already ported to another carrier. So u will be billed with Rogers up until the number is ported over to Fido. Then fido will start billing u from the day u signed up with them. You could call Rogers and give them 30 days notice but sometimes the reps may change something in the account or try to tall u out of it.  I have noticed this many times my self.  

That's how it works for contracts and non contracts.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rp22

Once you go to Fido and port over your number, your Rogers account will stop working that moment as the number has been already ported to another carrier. So u will be billed with Rogers up until the number is ported over to Fido. Then fido will start billing u from the day u signed up with them. You could call Rogers and give them 30 days notice but sometimes the reps may change something in the account or try to tall u out of it.  I have noticed this many times my self.  

That's how it works for contracts and non contracts.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

That's great, thanks for the quick reply. I guess I was thinking too deep into this.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rp22

No worries! We all need answers to questions we have!. 🙂
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can also call rogers and tell them your not using all the data in your plan and they can possibly find a plan with less data which would cost less? its worth a try to check this before porting, it doesn't hurt to ask

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Can an authorized person migrate a wireless phone line from Rogers to Fido? Or does it have to be the person whose account name is on the monthly contract do so? As Fido is currently offering the same plan I have with rogers for the exact same price I'm paying but with more data.

NOTE: I brought my own phone with me when I came to Rogers, so I'm NOT LOCKED to a contract with Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @mabuzainah

The account holder has to be the one that is responsible for the removal, cancellation and or transfer or any account. So if you are the account holder then yes you can. If you are a Level 1 on the account, you will need to have the account holder call in and request that they allow you to do the transfer to Fido BUT the account holder also has to contact Fido and speak to them. A level 1 can't do it. So unfortunately the only person that can is the owner aka account holder.