Switched To New Modem With 5G & 2G. Having Trouble Streaming Video & Using Spreecast

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Switched To New Modem With 5G & 2G. Having Trouble Streaming Video & Using Spreecast

Hi there,

I use Spreecast (a Google Hangout) based live video streaming service.

Last week, on the advice of Rogers, I finally upgraded my modem to one that I believe is fibre-optic and has 5G and 2G inputs. 

Since the modem switch, it says my connection is not optimized for the service which is a problem I didn't have before. Should I input my LAN connection the 5g or 2g port on my modem?  Should I turn wifi off?

I have tried:

- Just using LAN connection (into 5G input)

- Turning Wifi On

- Turning Wifi Off

but still get that message on Spreecast.

The computer that I am using connects directly to the modem in the basement where I have the 5G and 2G networks set-up.

Upstairs, I have another computer that connects to the internet via a router and its own network.

Usually when I use Spreecast, I unplug the upstairs router and computer completely to improve my connection downstairs but even that doesn't seem to work in this case.

I am scheduled to do a show today at 5 PM EST, so hoping someone can help.

Thanks.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Switched To New Modem With 5G & 2G. Having Trouble Streaming Video & Using Spreecast

Hi,

Ok, I’m assuming that you now have a Hitron CGN3. Just to clarify, don’t confuse cellphone 5G capability with the Hitron’s 5 Ghz capability. The two are definitely not related. Many networks these days are hybrid fibre/copper systems. Fibre to a distribution node and then copper to the home, unless you happen to be in a brand new neighborhood with fibre installed to the home.

So, on the Hitron CGN3, you have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless network and wired network capability. The CGN3 has a firmware bug at this time that throttles its download capability whenever its connected to a wired 10/100 Mb/s device. So, instead of seeing a 60 Mb/s download if that is what you have on your plan, you would see somewhere around 30 Mb/s. If you look at the back of the CGN3, at the port where your computer is connected, you will see a yellow flashing light for a 1 Gb/s interconnect with the other device or green flashing LED for connections at 100 Mb/s. If the LED is yellow, you will see the full download rates for your plan, actually higher with speedboost.   If its green, you will see your download rates throttled back.

The other problem is that if you have an input power level problem with the incoming house cable, that can definitely slow the data delivery. That can be checked by logging into the CGN3 and looking at the DOCSIS WAN page for the power levels. You can copy the Downstream and Upsteam tables and paste them in here so that I can have a look at them. Don’t copy the IP data above the Downstream table, just the tables themselves.

So, check the interconnect speed at the back of the CGN3 and paste in the tables and then myself and others here in the forum can hopefully determine what the problem is.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Switched To New Modem With 5G & 2G. Having Trouble Streaming Video & Using Spreecast

I see a yellow/orange flashing light on the back of the modem.

Working on getting you the tables

I Plan to Stick Around

I can't psot the tables here for some reason.

Can you tell me where to send?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You should be able to copy the tables and paste them into this thread.  Here is an example off my CGN3:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

When you run a speed test, what do you get for results?  Here is the Rogers speedtest   http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

I Plan to Stick Around

It won't let me copy the tables like that.

Tried and tried.

Speedtest

Download:  80.22 mbps

Upload:  10.78 mbps

I am super worried because my live show is in 4 hours

I Plan to Stick Around

It is converting my screenshot into text and says it is HTML

Tried uploading image here but that doesn't work either

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, if you look at the Downstream power level which is in dBmV, it should be somewheres around 0.  The upstream should be around 37 /  38 typically, but has a range as high as 51.

The other thing to think about is whether or not that particular streaming service needs some special port forwarding.

What service plan are you on ?

I Plan to Stick Around

The one that gives 120 GB of data with the new modum I think.

I can't find dbmv on this table

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its the column that shows as Signal strength.  What specific indications do you see from the spreecast check.  I suspect that it isn't speed.  UDP passthrough by any chance.  I'm just reading through the following link: 

https://spreecast.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201561107-What-are-the-system-requirements-needed-to...