Switch standard box with hd box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Switch standard box with hd box

Hi there. I'vv been a Rogers customer for 7 years now and currently enjoying a plan which gives me two cable boxes. When I signed with this deal, Rogers gave me 1 hd box and 1 standard box (just because one of my tv was not hd). I recently purchased a hd tv so I'm wondering if I can switch my standard box with a hd box so I can enjoy hd in my new tv? Thanks. Alex

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Switch standard box with hd box

Are the boxes owned by you or do you pay the monthly rental for them?

If they are rented, you should be able to go into any rogers store, trade it in and get an HD box.  you will have to pay the increase in the rental price though.. think its about $8 more.

I've Been Here Awhile

The boxes were given for free as part of the package (free for a year).
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

your best bet is to keep the boxes and continue to use them then after your 1 yr contract term, re-negociate with a hd box. in my humble opinion the more changes you would do ie switch a sd box for an hd box and try to modify the promo, you will only end up with more problems in the future. its not worth it imho.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Pauly.

I am really hoping to get an HD. The picture sucks on standard definition on a 60" HD TV. I don't think I can live with it for another 10 months. Has anyone experienced changing the deals offered to them through the customer retention department? I don't want to pay extra for an additional terminal. I am contemplating on cancelling my service with them but I'm pretty sure I'll be charge for early cancellation. Bell is offering me two free HD boxes and 30% off for 6 months. It's tempting!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you called them yet to inquire? you might just have to pay the difference to upgrade to the higher box.

While its not likely you will get the better one for the same free.

And yes, most likely you would have to pay a fee to quit.

-----

Dont be fooled by the 'freebies' when switching.  Those two free HD boxes, are like the rogers one, its a free one year rental on them and after that, you will have to pay for the full rental prices on the boxes, etc.
Also one thing people dont think of when going to bell, unless you are able to go FIBE, going to satalite, look around to see where the neibourhood ones are placed.. at my old house, for bell, the dish would have to be right at the front of the house, between the two front windows, right infront of my view and was an eyesore 😛