Survey on “Slow Connection Speeds” issue with Extreme and above package

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dk_hung
I Plan to Stick Around

Survey on “Slow Connection Speeds” issue with Extreme and above package

I have been reading many issues about the SMC gateway in terms of WiFi connection speeds and drop-out.  And I also read a lot of suggestions for fixing the problems.  Out of that many threads, it is hard to consolidate which solution(s) actual work.  I would like to probe you guys by doing a small survey.  I am hoping to collect the info for the next 7 days.  I will provide the final results based on your feedback on the cut-off date Feb 16th, 2011, 2:00 p.m. EST. 

Here is the situation:

1)      Originally had Express or lower package

2)      The connection speed was acceptable, and/or and add antenna on the router to extend the coverage.

3)      Upgrader to Extreme or above (15Mps and above)

4)      Pay $7.00 DOCSIS 3 gateway combo rental instead of $3.00 modem rental.

5)      Or bought DOCSIS 3 gateway combo.

6)      Got worst connection speeds, sometime got kicked out.

7)      Paying higher price but got lower quality of service.

Below are the suggestions provided by the Rogers Support and/or users that I have been seeing.  I encourage you to participate if you had the same situation above, and have tried any of solutions below that  actually work:

A)     Replace with another DOCSIS-3 gateway combo

B)     Disable the WiFi feature and use a third party router.

C)     Upgrade the firmware.

D)     Change the gateway channel settings

E)      Play with some other setting within the configuration

F)      Service technician came and did something on the gateway setting.

G)     Service technician came and did something on the outside cable box.

H)     Service technician came and did something but I had no idea what they did.

I)       None of the above, but I did <something> myself and got the desired speed on WiFi again.

• Please  clarify what the trick was to fix the problem.

For example if your solution was to upgrade the firmware.   Please just put  “C”  in your response.  If you know the exact firmware version, please provide as well.

***Edited Labels.***

dk_hung
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Survey on “Slow Connection Speeds” issue with Extreme and above package

Thanks to all the viewers.  Based on this unscientific survey,  it looks like the SMCD3GN is just a piece of giant paper weight which cost over $7.00 to rent.  Despite all the unhappy customers and complaints, Rogers keeps renting the SMC junk and  pretending like there is nothing wrong. 

invisiman
I've Been Here Awhile

I've got the EXACT same problem... speeds are suppose to be 25mb/s and I have never gotten better than 15mb/s... the average is 4-10mb/s.  I only needed the extreme plus plan for the extra bandwidth, but I was forced to get a "better modem" and "faster speeds"... such a shame.

bdoyledimou
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same situation.

Haven't seen a speed over 18 Mbps  with the rogers speedtest either wirelessly or direct conected to the router.

the Tech said i was too far away from the Cable distribution box in my neighborhood.. except its in my backyard. if I am too far away i have no idea what others in my area are suffering through.