Summer settler use

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Summer settler use

We'd sure like to have internet access on for our cabin in McGregor Bay, and it looks like Rogers wireless will do it, though nothing seems to be quite appropriate for intermittent use by a non-Canadian: ten days in late spring, ten days in late summer, maybe another ten days in midsummer. Any advice here on how best to accomplish this? 

***Edited labels***

I'm an Advisor

Re: Summer settler use

@dcjack:

I understand the question you pose, I think.  And I agree that your situation could present a bit of a conundrum.

If you have determined that Rogers is the provider best suited to your Canadian data communications needs, I am wondering if you can get some kind of a roaming plan in the US that would also work for Rogers here in Canada.  My first suggestion would be to check with AT&T, because as far as I kinow, they have a close commercial relationship with Rogers.

For example, when we drive close to the US border, sometimes our Rogers cell phones will indicate they are in fact connecting to the AT&T network in a roaming mode.  This happens to us when we drive along the Thousand Islands Parkway between Brockville and Gananoque, ON.  I have wondered what the financial impact would be if we just coincidentally were on the cell phone at that time and the call was routed through the AT&T network.  I strongly suspect Rogers would then charge us US roaming charges even though physically we had not left Canada.

If you must use the Rogers network here in Canada, you should be aware that the Fido network offerings are in fact provided on the Rogers network, as Rogers own Fido.  So also check out what Fido offers in data plans.

So, the above may or may not be of help to you.  Good luck in your search.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

T hanks, but while it works technically to access Rogers via AT&T roaming, but the roaming charges are killers. That's why it's got to be a contract with Rogers, even though we're there for only some weeks during the summer. So we're prepared to buy the Rogers wireless modem, and start/stop a Rogers contract. We could use a Rogers USB stick for one computer, or the hub for a couple. What we really need, I think, is a Rogers outlet that is willing to work with us. 

I'm an Advisor

@dcjack:

I do understand the issue.  But I still encourage you to check out Fido as well, as they are on the Rogers network.

I do see ads for used RocketHubs on occasion.  Perhaps you could work a deal whereby you purchase a used one, and then use a pay-as-you-go data plan.

As well, I don't know the distance you will be from the cell tower, but a RocketHub will allow the use of an external antenna, something that usually cannot be done with a USB RocketStick.

skinorth

I Plan to Stick Around

Guess we'll find out in a month how well this works -- either the Rogers Mobile Internet Stick, or the Mobile Hotspot. Found a dealer in Sudbury who will sell us the hardware. It all seems very reasonable -- $52/month for up to 2 GB. Compare that to AT&T roaming -- roughly $1 for 1 MB. (Yes, $1 for 1 megabyte. Not per gigabyte. That's why we've got to make the Rogers connection work.)

I Plan to Stick Around

Picked up the Mobile Hotspot, and now we're on-line from our island in McGregor Bay. Works like a charm! We're very pleased. -- Jack