Suffering Packet loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Suffering Packet loss

I don't believe the packet loss at this point.  Time for a command application.  Download Fping from:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/IP-Tools/Fping.shtml

The command line to run Fping to the .204 DNS is:

fping 64.71.255.204 -t 10 -c -D -T -L c:\temp\fping13mar.txt

-t 500  That runs a ping at 500 ms intervals.  For test purposes, drop this to 10 for a fast run. 

-c          Runs continuously until stopped with a Control C

-D         Stamps the result with a Datestamp

-T          Stamps the result with a Timestamp

-L          Writes the results to a text file, in this case located in the C:\temp folder. 

Change the folder location if you prefer, or delete this altogether if you don't want

a text record

If you change the address to the CMTS address and run it at 10 ms intervals, you can asses very quickly if there is a packet loss issue to the CMTS.  Run that for a minute or two at 10 ms intervals and then stop the run.  You can then check the results, looking for packet loss.  To run that for a longer period, I would set the time for 500 ms,  -t 500    You can also specify the number of pings to run using something like -n 1000 instead of -c.  After 1000 pings the application will stop.  So, you can set this for a low interval run, and set the number of pings to run. 

A simpler version of this is to run the normal ping command, using the CMTS as the target.  Let that run for however long you want to run it, and then check the packet loss numbers when you stop the run.  That will run the ping with a 1 second interval. 

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

How do I run the normal ping command, using the CMTS as the target ? @Datalink
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1.  Run a trace to anywhere:  tracert www.google.com

2.  Look at the trace address.  The first is the router or modem, the second will be the CMTS.

3.  Use that CMTS IP address as the ping target:  ping 99.xxx.xxx.xxx for example.  That will run until you bail out of it.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Which application am I running these test on ? How do I let it ping it longer
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That uses the normal ping command that is available thru the command prompt.  It will run one ping per second.  

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

I’m doing that but how do I let it ping it longer it only pings it 4 times but would like to run it longer
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ah, right.  Use:  ping -t 99.xxx.xxx.xxx

to see the options type in:  ping/?

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

Thanks. I’m guessing these test should be done later in the day when everybody is home and using the internet in the area to find packet loss / congestion issues ? @Datalink I have ran some so far no packet loss but at times I getting high ping the highest being 100 ? I find that quite high my node is just across the street
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Let the ping run for 24 hours if you want to.  That's what I do.   There is also the IPV6 ping to the CMTS to run as well.  If you have IPV6 enabled in the modem, to run the IPV6 trace use: 

tracert -6 www.google.com

The same situation applies, the first IP address is the modem or router, the second is the CMTS.  Ping the CMTS using the IPV6 address.  

The high time pings are the result of the modem firmware change in version .27.

lethalsniper
I'm an Enthusiast

If the high pings are caused by .27 how can I tell if I’m still getting congestion on the node ... I have ipv6 disabled because of nhl 18 and to get something clear cmts and node the same ?