Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Services - Internet Bandwidth Usage

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet Cap

Hello,

I'm just trying to get some advice on the best way to increase my internet cap.

I would like to try out Netflix but I have the 60GB Express package and I understand Netflix needs a lot more than that.

I checked on the Netflix web site and my speed is sufficient so I really don't want to upgrade to a super fast speed that i would never use. I'd just like to keep everything the same but increase the cap, preferabley to unlimited. I don't see this as an option on the Rogers list of services.

I have all of my services with Rogers and already pay over $200 a month so I don't see the point in paying an extra $25 a month for a super fast internet connection that I don't need.

Anyone know of any way to leave my speed the same but just increase the cap for a more reasonable price?

*Edited Labels*

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Streaming Services - Internet Bandwidth Usage

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Robbell have you checked online to determine your monthly usage?  If not, that would be the first place to start.  As far as Netflix usage is concerned, you can set the streaming or video quality on the Netflix site to go from lower resolution up to HD.  That would depend on the device that you use to watch Netflix.  Perhaps you don't need to think about moving up to an unlimited plan depending on you current usage and tv/monitor resolution?

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.

I checked my past few months and I'm usually between 40 and 50GB but a couple of months ago I went over 2GB and was charged and extra $7

I would need HD as I would be using a 1080p projector and would want the best quality available for it.

Ok, understand.  It looks like the only available route, at least according to Rogers website is to step up to the next service level, which is 100 Mb/s down, 10 Mb/s up, unlimited usage.  The only problem with this is any existing contract if any, that you have and/or bundled services that include your current internet plan.  I'm not the person to answer that question and I suspect that you would be better off inquiring with Customer Service to see what deals they might have on the go these days.  Don't make any changes until you're ready to do so, but certainly inquire to see what they can do for you, keeping in mind any other services you might have as well.  

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately that's the way I see it as well. It's too bad the $64.99 deal only applies to new customers. Paying an extra $25 a month isn't an option on my pension so maybe I'll have to look into a different provider if Rogers can't come up with something.

Yup, understand.  Ask to speak to Retentions when you call in.  Basically, as you indicated, you're considering leaving Rogers, so, Customer Service won't be much use to you.  Time to move the discussion to Retentions to see what they can do.  

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for the good advice.

@Robbell, have a look at the following thread to see if it gives you any info that might be useful:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31151923-Prices-99-month-Rogers-Gigabit-Popular-TV

The only fly in the ointment is the fact that it would require moving to a new gigabit modem, which is problematic at the moment for technical issues.  If you run your own router behind the modem then it might not be a problem. That's what I do and it seems that I've missed the problems that have come up with the new modem. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Robbell wrote:

I'm just trying to get some advice on the best way to increase my internet cap.

I would like to try out Netflix but I have the 60GB Express package and I understand Netflix needs a lot more than that.

I checked on the Netflix web site and my speed is sufficient so I really don't want to upgrade to a super fast speed that i would never use.

I have 15 Mbps DSL and Netflix works just fine.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around
My speed is fine, it's just the cap that's a problem. I heard that one hour of HD programing is 3GB so it wouldn't take long to eat up my 60GB.

Correct.  A full movie 1.5+ hours, in full HD, will take between 3-5gb usage.

Currently only way to get unilimited, would be to go up to the much higher packages.. 
I really wish they would bring back the +$10 to add unlimited.

For full HD stream, you are going to use up 8+mbps.. so personally i wouldnt go with any plan less than 15mbps.
There are some 3rd party DSL providers offering ulimited at that speed..  But you would need to make sure that
A) the DSL service is reliable in the area.. bad lines would be issues regardless of provider

B) the speed/package is available... EG: I can get up to 250 rogers speed where I am, but only the BASICest of DSL at 6mbps

C) Going with 3rd party, you often can save quite a bundle.. but at the same time has some issues.  When there are issues, they can take quite a bit longer to fix somtimes as they have to go through bell/rogers to get the lines fixed.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Robbell Yes, you need at least 100 or 200GB, better still unlimited. But speed can get important if you ave several people in the house streaming.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Robbell wrote:
Unfortunately that's the way I see it as well. It's too bad the $64.99 deal only applies to new customers. Paying an extra $25 a month isn't an option on my pension so maybe I'll have to look into a different provider if Rogers can't come up with something.

Actually, if you take @Datalink's advice and call retentions, you may very well find that the $64.99 deal is not just for new customers. You can get to retentions by calling rogers and selecting the menu item to cancel a service. We recently switched from the old express plan to the Ignite 100 plan with unlimited. We did have to update our modem to the CGN3ACSMR, which of course can be bridged and used with your own router, if you desire. In addtion to the $64.99 deal for Ignite 100, we also got a nice deal on both our cable service and our home phone. It would not surprise me at all if you even reduced that $200+ monthly bill to under $200, though that would also depend on what your other services are. 

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I think I'll do. Give them a call next week.

I assume that kind of thing can't be done at the Rogers stores.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

No, you cannot do it at the stores. With us, we had a retention deal that had just expired. In order to get the deal that we did, the one proviso was to upgrade to an in-market Internet plan; in our case, the Ignite 100 plan. A note was made on our account, so that when we brought our older modem in to exchange for the newer one, we were automatically put on the offered deal - good for 2 years. Also worth mentioning is that with the new deal, we are protected against any price increases for 2 years. Of course, if we cancel, there are penalties, but since we have no intention of going anywhere else, I think we got a great deal. 

That being said, we arranged our previous deal in 2014 by messaging Rogers on Facebook. We tried that this year, but the person who offered us a deal completely messed it up, so we ended up calling retentions to get things fixed right.  If you are on Facebook, it is another possibility though. 

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again.

Robbell
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the good advice everyone.

I posted my dilema on the Rogers Facebook page and was contacted by a Rogers rep.

He was able to bump my internet service up to Ignite 100u with unlimited cap and keep

all my other services as they are with the end result of it costing about $30 less than I have

been paying. The only catch was a two year lock in but that's not a problem as I'm not going

anywere anyway. I just told him that if I croak within the next two years all bets are off. 🙂

Hi @Robbell,

Thank you for keeping us posted. Glad to hear our peers on the Rogers Facebook page were able to resolve your issue.  I hope you enjoy the new package. 

RogersZia

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation