Strange...Remote does not work when room lights are off

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Strange...Remote does not work when room lights are off

Recently changed to the "Nextbox" when our Cisco 8632 stopped working.  So many problems ever since, most of which were FINALLY resolved after we swtiched back to the old program guide.  But we still can't figure this one out.  If we are watching TV at night, with the overhead room lights off, our Rogers remote does not work-pressing buttons gets no response.  As soon as we flip the room lights on, it works. Does anyone know why this happens and any way to fix?  We have a 7 year old LCD TV sitting on our media cabinet and the Nextbox is in the centre shelf of the media cabinet.  Who likes watching movies with the lights on??? Not me!

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Strange...Remote does not work when room lights are off

I know the nexbox cisco boxes, are alot more sensitive on the remote than others..

You say its in a media cabinet. Does it have glass infront of the unit?

I've Been Here Awhile

I should have mentioned that it does NOT have glass.  Sorry about that.  Any thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My only thoughts, were around the glass.. i know some who have had glass, espeicaly darker glass, have had issues.. so if the lights were off.. maybe wasnt transmitting through.

I have found the angle to be able to point at it, rather small.. just making sure your pointing more direct at it, rather than on an angle, etc..

When you swaped the box.. did you get a new remote or still the old one?  Could try swapping the batteries, or exchanging the remote.

I've Been Here Awhile

We have swapped the box twice and both times came with a new remote.  With this last box, we ended up swapping the remote again at one of our service calls.  It seems like we are now operating as best we can, with the light on/off issue being the only one remaining.  Do you know where exactly on the NextBox is the IR sensor?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It is between the little light at the left of the dispaly and the first number of the time display. If your lights are causing the problem, you may want to try an infrared repeater or a UHF remote.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, I'm at a loss. I use the remote and box in the dark room, so I know they can work 😞

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I would have to agree with GDkitty

I use the remote & the box it total darkness & it still works. Hmm something else is going on here.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Just for kicks turn the TV off when the room is dark and try to use your remote then. A lot of TVs affect IR performance. If this works for you, move the box further away from the TV.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mousetamer wrote:
Just for kicks turn the TV off when the room is dark and try to use your remote then. A lot of TVs affect IR performance. If this works for you, move the box further away from the TV.

good idea, its worth a shot.

My box is off to the left on a media tower thing on the left, where the TV is to the right ontop of a fireplace, so a fair distance away