Strange...Remote does not work when room lights are off

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Strange...Remote does not work when room lights are off

i can't say for certain, (i'm not an electrician), but there may be a short or something in the wiring for your lights. it seems like when you turn off the lights, a massive amount of interference blocks the signal from the remote. have you tried any other remotes when the lights are off. if they work, then its not that. also, sometimes lighting switches can also switch off or on power recepticles, so it could be that when you turn off the lights, you also turn off something that for some reason is boosting the ir reception. like i said, i'm not an electrician, so this is just a guess

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Not likely that there is a short in the wiring.  If there was, you would either be blowing the circuit breaker or the lights would not work at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Agreed.

One thing that someone has found, while 100% confrimed, etc... is that some of the newer TVs have some IR setting "green" settings or power booster settings.
It seems like these, when the TV is off.. seem to OVERPOWER the IR for the rogers box.

For people with this issue, would be worth looking at the TV setting and see if there is any settings to turn off for the remote in that fassion, and turn it off, and give it a test.

I've Been Around

we have the same problem with the remotes not working at night time we had the old box switched for a new with with a new remote and still the same problem. question why do the roll out crap products that don't work? i am about ready to toss the crap out the window
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not actually the BOXES themselves that are the problem.. its the REMOTES.. in combination with the TVs.

With the settings, which i have described above... have often what they call IR spray.. essentialy IR interfearance.. and either then the way the remote is broadcasting or its not powerful enough.. this spray, interfears with the signal being sent.

Try finding those settings in the TV.. An ECO mode, one that changes bightness with the room darkness, etc, and try turning it off, and see if the problem persists.

I have that mode ON on my TV, and it doesnt interfear with the box.. but my box is about 3ft to the left in a cabnet, so much out of the way of the interfearance... but i had issues when it was right below in a prior setup.

You could potentially have this with other remotes as well (i find i have to sometimes press stuff twice on my AVR, so its possible its getting it)

I Plan to Stick Around

I just switched to Nextbox, and am having the same problem. The remote will not work (sometimes it works intermittently) when the lights are off. I have a Sony Bravia TV, which has a "Light Sensor" feature in the settings, which "optimises brightness according to ambient light". With this set to "off", the remote works, but the picture is too bright for my liking. With the sensor set to "on", the picture goes a bit darker, is easier to watch, but the remote won't work. Very annoying.....!! I assume there would be no point in getting a new remote as this seems to be a design flaw. Not happySmiley Mad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's a flaw between the sensor used in the box, yes, but it's partially the tv's themselves that they produce too much of this interference. There are other devices which sometimes have that problem as well.

Not sure if your tv has other brightness settings, that you could manually change.

A few other things in have heard people try/do, was put a thin sheet of printer paper over the sensor, it's enough to still allow signal through but blocks the spray.
Other thing was to just put up a little paper barrier jutting out on the side closest to the tv to again block.

Unfortunately it's a box flaw issue per say, so not something that can be fixed with an update.

I Plan to Stick Around

I appreciate your reply, but the fact that you say you are not an employee of Rogers means, presumably, that Rogers are not being made aware of this issue, Is there a way that I can communicate with them direct, which would hopefully get a response from them, acknowledging the problem and providing a solution....??? Saying there is a flaw in the technology, is not really a help. Rogers need to fix this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This forum, is a USER to USER help forum.. this is not the method to let them know.

Problem is.. there ISNT a current method to let them know Smiley Sad  You can call into tech support.. but it wont do really any good, they will get you to swap the box, etc.. it will all be the same problem.

Even if you did get an acknoledgement.. there IS no current solution (other than what i provided)
The best you can do, is have them log an open ticket.. dont send a tech out, etc.. and maybe if enough of them are there, it will get dealt with.

Through their ideabox now.. where they try to get new stuff implemented to help CS, etc.. i am working on trying to get them to MAKE a proper bug reporting forum, etc.. where this information on things like this, CAN be collected, and then passed onto the correct people it needs to go to.

As i said.. YEs, its a flaw in the technology. 
There IS NO FIX.  The only possible thing, that could be done.. would be to get cisco to make boxes with a different IR receiver, which possibly doesnt have this problem, etc.  Which then would require the recall of all the boxes potentially, etc.
Is it possible? Yes.  But its not going to be an overnight fix, even if it was implemented.  You are talking a large period of time for cisco just to make all the boxes, different IR sensor which works in the box, yet doesnt have the issue, etc.