Strange CGN3 problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Like it Here

Strange CGN3 problem

Ok, so... a little background first.  I had the Cisco combo modem which came from Shaw prior to Rogers swallowing them up.  It was a great bridge... not so great WiFi but when it worked, connection speeds were pretty good.

Unfortunately, yesterday things were starting to get a little wonky with it.  To troubleshoot, I went into the firmware and well, when I did that... it would just kill my connection.  There is more to this story, but not reall important.

So, tech support got me onto this new modem - the CGN3.  Great right!?  Perhaps finally I'll have some good signal strength.

Everything was reasonably easy to setup - SSID's, security etc. all nicely configured as it was before.  BUT... on my computer (Windows 8.1), My connection speeds (using Rogers SpeedTest) are around the 3M range using 5MHz and about 5M using 2.4!!  UGH!  What is real strange though is that 2 other systems on my network get about 25M on the 2.4GHz signal.

So, logically I thought that there must be something wrong with the settings on my WiFi card (Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card).  It worked great and got excellent speeds with the older router.  But with this one, something is fishy me thinks.  The two other notebooks are not running Windows 8.x.... Hmmmmm....

Help!?!? 🙂

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Strange CGN3 problem

There is another user on here was having some similar more than overly poor performance with some wifi things with the CGN3.

They also, were using a draft N wireless card..

Seems like with some cards.. it is auto negotiating the connection speeds at not their full.. which can degrade the overall speed performance.

The prev one you had, likely didnt have this bug.

Until the firmaware is possibly fixed tofix this bug.. there might not be alot you can do 😞

Many users usually end up getting a BETTER quality 3rd party router to add with the CGN3 (either as an access point or just bridging it with the GN3) to get the best full performance.

I Like it Here

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, that's how things were with the Cisco in Bridged mode, used a nice wireless router... all good.  Sadly, that router konked out after a few years of useful life so the easiest solution was to activate the gateway on the Cisco.

Sigh...

So, I was hoping to avoid getting a 3rd party router simply due to cost at this time of year... the good ones are not cheap.  Feel free to recommend one - good performance/reliability to cost ratio 🙂

Thanks again!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. the down side is.. that the GOOD ones, cost $$.
It really goes to show you, that WHY the build in on these gateways is not that good..
That they are only 1/3 extra the cost over a regular comparable modem only... how much money is left for them to put in a GOOD router portion? Not much..

Some people, have seem to have had some OK, luck, with the HIGHER end Dlink or Linksys ones, around the $100ish mark.. usually a basic AC router, not usually with external antennas.

Having myself, gone from one just about in those ranges (a little older), to the starter end of the HIGHER end ones... all i can tell you is night and day for RANGE, Perforamance and options.

Really comes down to how much you want to spend.. to future-proof yourself.. if thats even a concern.
ALOT of the higher end ones are AC routers.  While you might not have any AC capable devices.. more and more are comming out.. so you might want to buy higher now, to be able to take advantage of them as you.
If not.. at least start at the end the HIGHER N capable routers.

I wouldnt go any lower than the
ASUS RT-N66U = external anteena, dual band, N, around $150

You can go up from there with ASUS, going into the AC units.
The Netgear Nighthawk one is in the sub $200, and has some great reviews.
Linksys has a HIGH HIGH end AC one now, but is almost $300.

I'm a Regular

On the 2.4GHz band, try changing wireless mode to n only... this will force AES encryption which is much faster than TKIP.

At the same time, change the channel setting from Auto to 11... then try channel 1 and then channel 3... see if  any of these settings make a difference... 

... and you might try reloading your driver

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good tips too jszentir 🙂
Those are also good to do no matter which wireless device you are using.

While we were troubleshooting at work, we were not getting great throughput on N, even when it was set to N only.
Little did we realize that leaving tkip on for encryption can limit the connection down to 54mbps

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I wouldnt go any lower than the
ASUS RT-N66U = external anteena, dual band, N, around $150

You can go up from there with ASUS, going into the AC units.
The Netgear Nighthawk one is in the sub $200, and has some great reviews.
Linksys has a HIGH HIGH end AC one now, but is almost $300.

I'd be tempted to try the Asus RT-AC56U, too, if you don't need crazy wireless range/performance. It's a lot less money than my beloved RT-AC68U (I think I've seen it for $130-140)... and still has the fantastic Asus software.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah i was looking at that one before too.

Great price for an entry level AC router... and like you said using the asus software, etc.

ONLY semi concern i have with it, is the internal antennas.

Seeing the quality/range difference, between some internal/external units... not sure if i would ever buy an internal antena unit again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, something here doesn't add up.  You have a Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card running Windows 8.1?  Is that correct?  That card has to be about 7 years old and the newest driver for the Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card Desktops Driver is listed as supporting Windows Vista and dated Nov 2008.  That might have something to do with the difficulties.  You're not the first person to have issues when running an 802.11 Draft N device with the CGN3 but we would need to know more about the other devices you are using along with that mini-card to try to come to any conclusions.   

Beyond that however, even with your other laptops, at close range to the CGN3 I would think that your download / upload rates should be much higher.  Assuming that you're running 60 Mb/s down, 10 Mb/s up, if the modem is running at those rates, you should be able to see that with your laptops at close range.  The highest I've seen from the CGN3 is 100 Mb/s on 2.4 Ghz and 200 Mb/s on the 5 Ghz networks.  So, if you're at 60/10, you should see that rate, at a minimum.  It leads me to think that there is more going on with the modem itself.  Can you confirm what plan you are on, and what do you see on a wired speedtest?  Can you also log into the modem and navigate to STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN.  Copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the RG6 cable power levels and signal to noise ratios.  Its usually a good idea to check those and make sure that the modem can really deliver the data rates that you are  paying for. 

The next check after that is to look at the wireless data rate and the wifi environment.  If you drill down to the adapter status you can see the actual connection rate that it is maintaining.  Navigate to Control Panel.....Network and Sharing Center.....Local Area Connection (right hand center page link).....Local Area Connection Status.  That pop up panel will show the connection rate that the adapter is holding with the CGN3.  Can you have a look at that and indicate what the rate is when the laptop is fairly close to the CGN3. 

Lastly, check the wifi environment using inSSIDer.  That is a wifi monitoring application that will display 2.4 and 5 Gghz networks that are within range of the laptop.  Have  a look at the network page and see where your network is sitting in relation to the received power of other nearby routers.  That will tell you how much interference you might be experiencing and whether or not your might be able to run 40 Mhz wide wifi connections with higher data rates, versus running a 20 Mhz wide connection.  Here's the link for inSSIDer.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

If any forum member is reading through this and is knowingly running an 802.11 Draft N device with a recent 802.11a/b/g/n router such as an Asus, Netgear, TP-Link, etc, can you chime in here and indicate whether or not you are seeing full data rates with the Draft N device or whether you are limited to g data rates, (54 Mb/s), and if you have any issues running other devices which are rated for 802.11n on the same network at the same time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One other item to check is the CGN3 and laptop adapter settings.  Check to see if the CGN3 is set for WPA-2 AES and lock the wireless mode to 802.11n.  Then drill down to the laptop adapter settings by navigating to  Control Panel.....Device Manager...Network adapters......"wifi adapter".  Right click to select Properties and Select Advanced Settings.  Scroll down the list to ensure that the adapter is set for Auto, or 20 & 40 Mhz for bandwidth instead of 20 Mhz (single choice) or 40 Mhz (single choice) and lock the adapter to 802.11n mode, assuming that n mode is available to set.  Reboot the laptop and then check the connection rate (as detailed above) between the CGN3 and the laptop to see if its locked into an N data rate.  Note that with the CGN3 set for N mode, anything that you have that runs on a b or g modes will not be able to use the CGN3.  You might not need those modes if everything you have runs N mode.  If the CGN3 is running at the speeds provisioned by your plan, you should see those speeds via wireless on the laptop. 

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation