Stopping use of internet if close to usage...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Stopping use of internet if close to usage...

Due to the usage counter not being the most reliable, is there a way to setup something where Rogers will cut your internet off as soon as you hit your allowance? Or to limit the usage per day by turning it off after say, 2GB/day maximum?

Our allowance seems to have gone so fast o.O as before we switched, we were with Bells' 40GB plan, and never even got close! Now we have Rogers 60GB we're managing to hit the limit a week before the months over! And due to having kids in the house, it's very hard to monitor times and usages per PC.

If not, then they should maybe think about implementing such an idea, as some of us really can't afford the $2 per extra gig.

According to the allowance, we're using up to 2gb usage p/d, just browsing the internet, so if we run out a week early, that's an extra $14-$28 a month. Sure we could put that money to get the next plan up, but if there was such a way of adding limits, we wouldn't need to.

ThanksSmiley Happy

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Stopping use of internet if close to usage...

Your experience is similar to many users, some of whom responded to my other thread in the 'Internet & Home Phone' folder. It's in Rogers best interest to keep its customers unsure of their accumulated usage. The extra billed income is pure profit for the company with no expense or effort on their part. Don't expect Rogers to implement anything to interfere with their cash flow or be fair to customers like you or I. However: Someone should tell Rogers that corporate greed is out of fashion these days...

Anyway, I found a freeware utility called Networx. It runs in the background and monitors your internet usage in real time and shows you a running total from whatever start date you program into it.  You can easily see a numerical, graph or pie chart representation of your accurate monthly or daily usage when you call up the application's interface.

I have no vested interest in this program and I anti-virus scanned it before loading it up. It just works like a charm.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello Woody,

Unfortunatly there is no feature like that at this time. One thing i would recommend if your usage is higher then it was previously and your  not sure why is to give a call to internet technical support and we can review your usage and make an educated guess at what might be causing the increase. For example, if your upload is higher then your download, that normally would indicate a file sharing program that starts running when your computer turns on. Also, if you use a wireless connection, make sure it is secure as your neighbours might be using you for free internet.  Those two examples are common situations where the user has not made any changes in thier habbits online, yet there would be an increase in usage on the bill.   Another option would be to connect with our technicians at echat ,  With your permission they can remotely access your computer and might be able to determine if there is any programs running in the background that would cause usage.

I hope this helps,

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
I've Been Here Awhile

There now seems to be a service that you can opt into that will warn you at 75% and/or 100%.

Can't tell you off hand where I saw this (and opted in), but it is on Rogers site somewhere near the usage meter.

I've Been Here Awhile

ever since i;ve been using rogers, ive had no problems with their internet. they do in fact give warnings when you reach your limit, but it only shows up once and it only shows up on the first computer that accesses the web after the notice has been sent. most likely since you said you have kids, is that they see the message and just ignore it and forget about it.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

they do in fact give warnings when you reach your limit, but it only shows up once and it only shows up on the first computer that accesses the web after the notice has been sent.

The webpage messages have to be acknowledged and this is a problem with kids and gaming.

The service bandwidth caps of 60 and 90GB are quite large and I doubt you would ever be able to exceed them with normal browsing.

Some of the common offenders people forget about are:

- youtube, especially high resolution. Some of the videos are huge

- media players. Some constantly d/l movie and music information to keep the user supplied with little pictures

- Wii, xbox and other lifewasters - they don't care about you, only your and their "sharing" social image

- picture frames, even check for updates and new pictures from Uncle Steve

- desktop gadgets. Our laziness is going to cost us to have information streaming instead of a double click once or twice  per day

- P2P software constantly sharing  your files so you look cool to people that will never know you, anyway. Shut it down once done.

- I am sure there many more I missed, if people would like to add to this list.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Anyway, I found a freeware utility called Networx. It runs in the background and monitors your internet usage in real time and shows you a running total from whatever start date you program into it.  You can easily see a numerical, graph or pie chart representation of your accurate monthly or daily usage when you call up the application's interface.

I have no vested interest in this program and I anti-virus scanned it before loading it up. It just works like a charm.

Most users have more than one computer or device online, accessing the Internet. I doubt this software could monitor the traffic from my Wii game console.

Can it lock into my router or modem to acces the traffic flowing?

Also,

the data traffic is further encapsulated with a further link layer of protocol making any data counters inside  system invalid.

I've Been Around

I too have the 60GB Rogers plan. On your Rogers online account you can add another 20GB usage for only $5.00 per month more. It's a cheaper way to get more bandwith without going all the way up to a higher service plan. Look on the page where it shows your monthly usage, nearby is a link where you can purchase the increased bandwidth.