Still having intermittent problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rye_encoke
I'm a Regular

Re: Still having intermittent problems

okay that worked amazingly well.  the reset of the modem has made everything incredibly fast...I mean really really fast

the odd thing is that I noticed one light that used to be lit up but is not now is the light for wireless.  it was always lit up before and would sometimes blink....now it is not lit up (I chose disable wireless on the cisco page).

so....does this mean it was possible someone was using my internet wirelessly without me knowing????

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

No, it does not neccecarily mean that someone was using your wireless. The Cisco gateway comes from Rogers with pre-configured, but password protected wireless. it could just mean that wireless signal was broadcasted when wireless light was lit or blinking.

But it is always useful to have strong password for wireless and/or enable MAC-address filtering, so only approved buy you devices can use your wireless.

rye_encoke
I'm a Regular

okey doke

not sure why it worked, but it sure worked.  for the last several days, a week or maybe even two, the internet was just awful.  basically if I wanted to watch a 5 minute video on youtube it would take 15 minutes to watch it all.  now, I click on a video and the whole 5 minutes is downloaded almost immediately and I can watch it with no skips.  so I wanted to push it a bit, opened up 6 different videos all about 15 minutes long...they all buffered immediately and all 6 ran through with no stops or stuttering.

now I know that when you call in to rogers you are told to reset your modem...however, the first time I was told to do so I was told to simply unplug the power from the modem and count 15 and plug it back in...and so in any further contacts with rogers that is what I did when told or asked about resetting the modem....which has never accomplished anything.  this did something.....different and it is very noticeable.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

while it was possible someone was on yoru wifi... many people have found with the wifi on, it ends up droping out the wired connection as well, etc..

Turning it off, may have been enough stop the problem.

Good to hear its working, hopefuly it sticks!

If you want to add wifi.. you can add your own 3rd party router, as just a wifi access point 🙂

Blackie9
I've Been Here Awhile

I had read some old posts about intermitent internet diconnects. Has Rogers done anything since 2012 posts to correct the problem?

I have a Cisco wifi router for about 2 years now. Annoying disconnects started 3 months ago and are reoccuring. Called Rogers  in May and they could not fix over the phone so they sent a tech out, who did not correct my problem and found out today on my bill that they charged me $49.99 for the house call. The router I received 2 years ago was brand new out of the box, because the 2 other units they gave were refurbished and did not work. I am afraid if I take this one back, I may be in the same situation returning it again and again.

This is very frustrating when trying to do online courses when it diconnects all the time.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are many things which can cause disconects.

Are you connecting WIRELESSLY or wired to the unit?

As for the charge... its not verry common that they DO actually charge for that.. (even though they WARN about the charges for every visit).  usually the charge, is only if they find that there IS a problem and that it was MADE say by the user (by putting their own splitter where it shouldnt be, etc).
If it has not been too long since then, i would call in an contest it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As Gdkitty indicated, can you expand on the wired vs wireless connection.  When the disconnect occurs, does the connection stay down long enough that you can log into the router and check the WAN signal level and signal to noise ratios.  You should see the WAN signal level at about 0 DbmV, and signal to noise ratios around 40 Db when the connection is up and running correctly.  If its down, the signal level should be a large negative number, probably below -10DbmV.  That might tell you if you have an external problem with the incoming cable.  At the same time are there any issues with your telephone or TV feed?  

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The $49.99 house call charge is for when a Rogers technician arrives on site when you have a working internet connection and found no issues with your setup during the inspection.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gisuck wrote:

The $49.99 house call charge is for when a Rogers technician arrives on site when you have a working internet connection and found no issues with your setup during the inspection.

Then its verry dependant on the TECH reporting it for the charge.

I have had times, with intermitant issues... when on the phone they can see an issue, send a tech.
When the tech comes, they check stuff.. but find nothing.. its WORKING at that point.

But never have been charged.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Oh for sure it's at the technicians discretion. I had intermittent issues as well, and the truck roll guy informed me of the charge before coming over since my connection was fine at the time of the call.