Stealing Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Stealing Cable

As a loyal Rogers customer of about 8 years, it really makes me mad knowing people are stealing cable and getting it for free.  I know in one house in particular where they changed the cable boxes on the street so they are getting cable without paying for it.   Who do you report this to?  Or who do you notify so they can investigate it further?  or do they even care.

Thanks

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Stealing Cable

They are stealing analog only.. so SOON this will be a MOOT point, as everyone will need a registered box (DTA to HD box) to get a signal.

But stealing is stealing. I am pretty sure in the BIG picture, they do care.

I would assume just call in under your account, and put in the complaint, they should be able to send someone out to trace/check the lines to make sure that they are going to the right places.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

You could call in and ask for an Inspector to be sent out to verify services... or you can ask for an Audit to be done on the street... if you open a work order under your personnal account, then if they send out a regular tech, he would only be responsible for your account, and would not likely investigate or disconnect another line...  You need to specify that you want an Inspector, or Audit done for the address in question..

You also have to be VERY sure that this address is stealing cable, as they will not like it (and it could cause potential legal issues) if they willingly go out and disconnect someone who is actually paying for cable, because you had a "hunch" they were stealing.

They could however audit the address, and if found they are a "cold" customer, then they will disconnect.

I Plan to Stick Around

But it is you who is the one who stole...

You stole 1st Prize in neighborhood crime prevention CONGRATULATIONS cowgirl32

I've Been Here Awhile

I know for sure they are stealing, I just don't want them to know it was me that ratted them out.  They have a tool that  was from previously working for cable a company, so they called Rogers to disconnect his cable, and once that was done set it up on their own.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello cowgirl32

You are assuming they are without any proof. You do realize if they are not stealing and find out you called they can charge u and lawsuits can happen? I have seen this happen a few times. Rogers cut their service down because someone claimed they are stealing cable and they got humiliated around the block. Rogers found that they weren't stealing cable and the resident of that house put a lawsuit on the person that claimed they stole cable.

All I would suggest to u is call Rogers without giving ur info and tell them what is going on. If they want your info, then it's up to u.

You need hatd proof they are stealing cable to be making the claim u are.

I'm Here A Lot

I rent a basement apt & I have had 2 technicians out in the last month & a half as to why I'm have internet signal problems & television problems. Twice they have disconnected upstairs for splicing into my cable. 1 technician even wrote inside the cable box "do not steal call rogers".

How many times do they come out to disconnect cable stealing  before they charge these people?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Curious to the legalities of HOW rogers can charge them.. etc..

Is where you are renting.. the people upstairs RENTERS as well? or the home owners?
If they are renters as well, i would notify the landlord.

If there is enough problems that go on with it.. i would guess that rogers could BLACKLIST the address.. and make it difficult to get any services there in the future.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I pay for my own cable in the basement apt, so I believe upstairs should be paying for there own it's not included with the rent, so therefore the address can not be blacklisted. The landlord knows & its not in his power to do anything about the cable. On the greys box attached to wall of the house - it states its a provincial & federal offence to steal cable. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

oh, 100% the upstairs should be paying for their own.. and you can have MULTIPLE hookups at one location, multiple accounts, etc.

BUT.. the one person doing something bad there.. can put a black flag on the LOCATION.  the next person comming in, etc, might have to provide alot of EXTRA info, etc to prove they are not the person who was stealing, etc.

(I had that for example, when i moved into my last house.. the last tennants ditched and ran.. and had to provide EXTRA documents to the gas company, as they had blacklisted the ADDRESS.)

I wish there was more of a 'hotline' for these things.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation