Standalone Docsis 3 Modem Implementation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Standalone Docsis 3 Modem Implementation

I just want to save $$$, my rental fee has doubled from $4 to $8/month.  Is there not a compatible docsis3 modem I can use with Rogers? 

Tekksavy supports multiple modems.  I just want to return the ugly looking modem/router that I've already turned into bridge mode and save the monthly charge. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At least at this time.. No.. rogers wont allow just a D3 stand alone modem, to be registered on the account for a rogers plan.

Best that you can do, is buy a gateway and keep it bridged.  Depending on the model you have, they are between $150 to 250. (so still cheaper than renting,in the long run)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Hogwash wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

If Rogers is going to actually move and provide us one, should be something that at least partially future proofs for expansion, using something that is a 24x8.

It's surprised me that Motorola only has 8x4 devices, since they seems to be the modem of choice across many ISPs, you think they would try to be a leader in this.

Best reason I can think of is it just isn't necessary for the foreseeable future. An 8x4 Docsis 3 modem is capable of handling in EXCESS of 300mbps downstream and 120mbps on the return channels.

Rogers broadband tiers don't even currently come close to offering these speeds. Rogers would need to invest millions in their infrastructure to enable network capacity to handle 300mbps downstream speeds 24/7 by the majority of their customers simultaneously.

Upstream/return channel bandwidth availability is even MORE LIMITED. This is the reason why broadband tier speeds are ASYMMETRIC.

The introduction of Docsis 3.1 protocols in the coming years, by it's very nature, will free up a lot of network capacity to accommodate vastly faster speeds.

IMHO All in all, Although I agree 24x8 Docsis 3 modems are ideal, the technical reality is that Rogers network just hasn't reached the point where foreseeable FUTURE network capacity limits will make their CURRENT purchase/use REALISTICALLY worthwhile.

It's like buying a Lamborghini when a bicycle will do. 

This isn't the whole story though.

The original 4 channel DOCSIS 3.0 modems can technically handle up to 168Mbps on the downstream yet you need an 8 channe modem to get 150Mbps service. The reason why, and the reason why 24 channel modems are a good idea, is because of congestion. If everyone is using 4 channel modems, everyone on your block is battling for the same 4 channels when downloading data. With 24 channel modems, load is spread around a larger range of the cable frequency.

100 users at 30Mbps on 24 channels will be faster for those 100 users than 100 users at 30Mbps on 4 channels, even though 4 channels easily provides 30Mbps of data. 

I'd take a 24 channel modem right now over anything else, no exception. The more channels the better, even with speeds UNDER the maximum of your channel count.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Truthfully Rogers, I probably share the same sentiment as a lot of people here.

Maybe your customers only have 1 computer? 

Maybe your customers already have a reliable router that serves them well.

The point here is that I should be allowed to use a modem only if your gateway "solutions" do not serve my needs.  I would go so far as to relax your policy on only using "Rogers authorized equipment" as virtually anything that is DOCSIS 3 compliant will work without issue on your network, but that may be asking for too much.  So I will only ask for a small favor for your customers.

Offer us a modem-only option that is compatible with all speed tiers.  Your buddies at Hitron make a 24x8 standalone modem.  What's the hassle in asking them for one?

Your customers would appreciate it!

Please support the push for Rogers to add a standalone D3 modem by voting for my ideabox submission

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/ideas/ideapage/blog-id/RogersIdeaBox/article-id/1036
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would be best to post about this in the IDEABOX or somewhere similar.

Unfortunately, this is primarily a user to user help forum... and they dont often collect information, etc on things like this from here (they SHOULD.. ).. otherwise they would have done a stand alone modem already from us asking.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

On the off chance they do decide to look, add one to the chorus of people who want a standalone modem.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I would also line to see a plain modem. This way, when I try to report to them that the modem stops working, they'll stop assuming I'm talking about the wifi I don't use.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First thing to tell them before anything else is that you have it bridged.