Speed seems to be slower after upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karl_kennedy
I Plan to Stick Around

Speed seems to be slower after upgrade

Hello,

I upgraded to the latest OS X Yosemite a short time ago. I started to notice that I was having speed issues.

Does this mean it's becaus eof the upgrade, not sure. I truly believe I was having them before.

I pay for the Hybrid Fibre 150 plan ( 150 mbps down/15mbps up) and my speeds are roughly 70-75 down/15 up.

My upload is maintaining but my downloads are off. I even test this when it should be light traffic (3 am)

I've done all the workarounds (called support/restarted modem etc.)

It should be know that I turned off the Wifi on my Gateway and now run it just as a modem. I use my Airport Extreme base station for wifi. 100 times better range. When I first signed up, I was getting all that was promised. Suddenly now, half-speed.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Speed seems to be slower after upgrade

Hope its not too late.  Don't use the USB setup key.  Get rid of it.  If you really need a guest account running, use a good third party router to do that. 

Ok, disconnect all of the wired devices connected to your CGN3 except for a pc or laptop that you can use to log into the modem after the reset.  Hold the recessed reset button down at the back of the CGN3 for 10 seconds and release.  That will initate the factory reset and the CGN3 should, at the end of the process, come up with both wifi networks running.

to login to the CGN3, the credentials are as follows:

User name:  cusadmin

Password:  password

The login IP address in case you need it is 192.168.0.1    That should get you back into the control interface for the CGN3.

First thing to do is go in and turn both networks off so they remain off while you are setting all of the other parameters.  When everything else is done, tackle the wireless networks.  That will limit any potential wifi exposure with default network settings.

Did you have the CGN3 running in Gateway or Bridge mode previously when you were running your Airport Extreme?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few things to troubleshoot.

What is the exact model of the airport extreeme (just to check things on it).

From the sounds of it.. depending on your setup.. you may be DOUBLE routing.. which may be causing some slowdown?
All depends on your setup.
Are you using the airport extreeme just as an access point?

Assuming all your tests have been on wireless?

Do you get the same results, when wired directly into the CGN3?

karl_kennedy
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the 2nd Generation Airprt Extreme. I turned off the wifi portion of the Rogers gateway and am just using it as a modem. At first, it was perfect. Getting the speed I am paying for (150mbps) and upload (15mbps).

Then I noticed it was slower and have checkled all sorts of online speed tests. All say the same. At least Half of what I am paying for for download speeds but my upload is fine. Steady at 15 mbps.

I haven't tried direct as I don't have an ethernet cord long enough. I'll get on it soon. Very frustrating though when I call Customer Support. It's my fault apparently. IF I just use it the way I'm supposed to blah, blah, blah. I find that very wrong.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you say "At least Half of what I am paying for for download speeds but my upload is fine. Steady at 15 mbps.", does that refer to a direct wired test with a connected laptop for example so that you have CGN3.......Airport Extreme......Laptop, all wired?  Or does that refer to wireless performance only, whereby the speed was good originally and has since dropped off from that original testing? 

You should know that your Airport extreme is an 802.11 a\b\g\ Draft N product.  Draft 2 was approved in March 2007, so that spec is old and has been superseded by the final approved version as of Oct 2009.  There were in the order of three to four thousand changes in the 802.11 specification between the Draft N and final accepted version.  Those changes might now be causing issues when the Airport Extreme is used with equipment that operates under the final 802.11n spec.  Not saying that is the source of all of the issues, but take that into consideration.

Can you log into the CGN3, navigate to the STATUS....DOCSIS WAN page and copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread please.  Don't copy the data that resides above the downstream table that includes your IP address and other data. 

Can you also load inSSIDer on a laptop and bring up the Network display.  Do a screen capture and post it somewhere so that I can have a look at it to check for interference from other routers.  inSSIDer comes in both windows and mac versions and can be found here:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

With those two pieces of information, I can check both sides of the network, cable and wireless.

karl_kennedy
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, looks as if I screwed everything up.

I thought to reset everything. Unplug the Airport and reset to factory settings. I can't even get it hooked up now. Password is wrong. The key Rogers supplied is useless. Wouldn't connect the first time now it just bounces in my Dock.

Uggh. I'm attached via iPhone at the moment.

K

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hope its not too late.  Don't use the USB setup key.  Get rid of it.  If you really need a guest account running, use a good third party router to do that. 

Ok, disconnect all of the wired devices connected to your CGN3 except for a pc or laptop that you can use to log into the modem after the reset.  Hold the recessed reset button down at the back of the CGN3 for 10 seconds and release.  That will initate the factory reset and the CGN3 should, at the end of the process, come up with both wifi networks running.

to login to the CGN3, the credentials are as follows:

User name:  cusadmin

Password:  password

The login IP address in case you need it is 192.168.0.1    That should get you back into the control interface for the CGN3.

First thing to do is go in and turn both networks off so they remain off while you are setting all of the other parameters.  When everything else is done, tackle the wireless networks.  That will limit any potential wifi exposure with default network settings.

Did you have the CGN3 running in Gateway or Bridge mode previously when you were running your Airport Extreme?

View solution in original post

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@karl_kennedy wrote:

I have the 2nd Generation Airprt Extreme. I turned off the wifi portion of the Rogers gateway and am just using it as a modem.

Datalink has already addressed this (and a lot of other things), but I want to emphasize this point:

Turning off wifi, by itself, will leave the Rogers gateway performing your NAT. That is not 'using it as a modem'.

If you want to have the Airport or something else do your NAT (which you probably do), then you need to use bridge mode, which turns off NAT, firewall, DHCP, and wifi on the Rogers gateway and turns it into a straight modem.

karl_kennedy
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I didn't just turn off wifi. My apologies for misleading.

I followed the instructions on the Rogers Support website:
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/247?setLanguage=en

was this right?? If not, can you help me ensure that it's actually in bridge mode?

I have it reset again so just using the Rogers Gateway. Internet tests seem like it's now what I pay for although now I see there's conflicting reports on the validity of speed test via internet.

Anyways, thanks for all the help so far in case I haven't mentioned it.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you followed those instructions, after the reboot, the CGN3 will be in Bridge mode. If you plug a PC directly into Ports 1 or 2, which I believe are at the bottom, you will get an IP address. You could run a speed test at that point for comparison purposes. Try running a speedtest from speedtest.net and choose the Toronto Telus server, and run a test with Rogers as well. They should show very close results. Note, make sure that the firewall on your pc is up and running if you’re going to do that. At this point you will need a router, running in full router mode to do everything, firewall, packet inspection, router duties etc.

karl_kennedy
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure exactly what happened but I tried going into bridge-mode.

I could connect to my router (apple Airpot 2nd Gen.) but could not connect to the net.

Very frustrating trying to get decent range for what I pay Hitron CG3ROG is absolute crap.

Is there anything I did wrong?

After reseting back and calling in to Rogers to set me up again, I followed these instructions to go in to bridge-mode:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/247?setLanguage=en

Once it was all up, my Airport was fine but could not plug in to the internet??