cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space HD Channel

HRM
I've Been Here Awhile

Since I cannot comment in the previous post on this topic I started a new post.

I would like to watch Space in HD.....I don't want the Cottage, Sunset, Aquarium channel or Chicken....why do I have this stuff but not Space...I realize it is a Bell owned channel....but Rogers...get your act together...

***Edited labels***

67 REPLIES 67

Re: Space HD Channel

pmcsplaza
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Channel 50 through a cable box, I don't believe it's available through antenna, I could be wrong.

Peter
Toronto

That's why Bell is keeping Space HD and Discovery HD to itself -- to entice you to switch services. Roger's can't sell you what it is not allowed to sell.

Switching will simply encourage Bell's behaviour. Then what happens? "Exclusive" channels! Rogers will have them. Shaw will have them. But Canadians will lose choice and the (supposed) power of competition on the supposed even playing field.

Notice that the TV providers are moving to long-term contracts. The popular but hard-to-get channels are the flypaper. Beware.

rantandrave
I've Been Here Awhile

The4JS: Analogue channel 50, and using an SD box, channels 50 and 281.

Pmcsplaza: Space is a cable specialty channel, not a broadcast endeavour. Its not available over-the-air.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The4Js:

everyones talking about Space HD cus once you go HD you will realize that watching SD is impossible to watch, and consumers are very smart, why invest in all this new hdtv technology, 16x9 big scren flat panel tv only to watch a picture with the sides cut off, very poor resolution? once you go hd you dont go back

pmcsplaza

I'm sure Rogers will carry these channels eventually as they aren't the only ones owned by other business interests and they always eventually appear in the lineup.  This one is taking a long time though.

Peter
Toronto

Woodsie
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like this "HD Monopoly" game being played by Bell with Space and Discovery,  Shaw with the likes of hoarding AMC HD rights and Rogers should be a CRTC matter.  Perhaps tthe CRTC can actually do something useful for a change in the favour of the consumer and end this game these providers who own channel rights are playing.   I would hope that one of these companies has already complained to the CRTC or in the very least we should all send them an E-mail complaining about these greed mongers holding us as "HD hostages".  These corporate goons will continue this until mandated to stop...

Personally I could care less about Space HD as the content is not what it used to be.  Not to mention, how much would we have to suffer in 4:3?

pmcsplaza

Got an email from Support a short while ago and they have no idea when Space and Discovery will be available in HD.

Peter
Toronto

The4Js
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks everyone for the replies, phew, was worried I'd go without my Space when I move to Ontario.

For the moment I don't have anything larger than 32" (CRT no less) - yep, never did the upgrade, probably won't for a while.

Hopefully by the time I get to it they'll have Space on HD, I hear you about the quality stuff.

Cheers

pmcsplaza

No you'll still get it in SD on Ch:50.

Peter
Toronto

Smiley Mad  -----------I switched  and TV is still crappy with reruns reruns and more rerunds and shoppin shopping to fill in so crappy fiber op tv I do get space and if offered a decent bundle or separate services that included space for a decent price I would concider going back to rogers

pmcsplaza

Well the reruns are the station's decision and might please some I suppose.

Peter
Toronto

Space Channel informed me that the High Def version is available to all carriers and to send all inquieries to Rogers! They are the ones that are **bleep** with us. They just do not care about our concerns. They are too busy trying to buy the Toronto Maple Leafs.

chrisbanks
I'm Here A Lot

I See in VIP HD area, space channel available....

I contacted rogers about this channel...

They Said no..not at this time....

Why are they advertiseing they have this channel in HD when they dont?

Gta Pinerige Area....

***Edited labels***

Looks like they have taken it down now.....

I guess someone  must noticed they made a mistake on the rogers web site...

To bad space is good channel....SD .....:(

Lets see it go to HD ...:)

Kevinbroten
I Plan to Stick Around

It was taken down because it's a Advertising Standards Board violation to advertise that they currently have the channel when they don't.

***Update***

Hello everyone,

SPACE HD is currently available with Rogers Cable TV Packages. For channel line-up and availability in your area please click here.

Hope this helps!

Interestingly enough..  when i was watching space yesterday.. beside the space logo, showed a little HD signal..

Now, not sure if it was actualy outputing in HD.. never looked at the PVR to see if had flipped to 1080 instead of 480..

No, it's not broadcasting in HD at all, even if you see the SpaceHD logo on screen, it's still in SD

Thats what i figured..

iouril
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm done waiting. it's not just the Space HD other channels as well. even Shaw has them by now. I"m seriously considering switching to Bell fibe.

from what I gather it's going to be only gains for me.

bye bye R0ger$!

pmcsplaza

You're lucky you have the choice.  Many of us high-rise dwellers can't choose.

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Spoke to a rep & a manager from the Space channel. They did in fact say that Space HD is available to all the carriers & that Rogers is the ones not adding it.

They also told me Rogers does have plans on adding it on the channels but they have no info yet. It seems to me Rogers is either waiting until they release other HD channels or seem to not want to add it.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats