Sony Xperia Play

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Sony Xperia Play

As you all may know, Sony released last year the Sony Xperia Play. A Playstation phone that WAS amazing. Today Sony announced that they are NOT upgrading the Xperia Play to 4.0 ICS. This dessicion was made based on the phone stable  & gaming. Seeing as this was the FIRST Playstation Certified phone, I would have thought made Sony & Google would have been able to do something to add ICS on it.

Anyways i would like to know what you all think on this?

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/products/2012/05/25/update-on-ice-cream-sandwich-rollout-for-xperia-smar...

***edited labels***

Smeelious
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Sony Xperia Play

It's a shame they couldn't get it to work. 

But I'd rather have a fully working phone / portable gaming device, than a flashier one that is only 80%.

I don't follow the Play much, but it seems the custom ICS ROMs have the same issues.  I see that changing though.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yea same. Honestly i really do not understand why people get so upset about it. Gingerbread works just as fine on it. No issues. If Sony added ICS & the phone started to fail & have issues, people would complain like crazy correct?

Anyways i just hope Sony or some XDA devs will find something out & add it.
sonyboyj
I'm an Enthusiast

Ya its a shame as its 2011 phone but i kinda see where sony is coming from may games down work well with ics so maybe the playstation game wont either which would lose people.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Not really. i read why it might never get the ICS. The phone hardware is having issues with the update. I know a few people that had the ICS beta on their Xperia play in which they are devs & ran into a few issues with the phone. Until Sony fixes it, they will not get the update. Depending if Sony also wants to upgrade it.