cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

On the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 what is the talk/standby time?

***edited labels***

124 REPLIES 124

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

sjfrhodes
I Plan to Stick Around

Remember that 'rooting' the phone might invalidate the warranty, so do be careful...!

Is there any news from Rogers on whether they will pass Gingerbread on to their customers?  I do hope so.  If not, more and more people are likely to debrasnd and root their phones in order to get the updates as they are released from Sony Ericsson.

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

It's official. SE has started to ship Gingerbread(2.3.3) for the Xperia X10.

Now let's see what happens first:

1. Rogers ships its own version of the official one
  2. The devs at XDA port the new features to the existing Gingerbread ROMs

Keep in mind ... because so much of Android is open source, most of Gingerbread has already been running on the X10 for many months through totally legal customizations. But some critical parts are missing from the unofficial releases, most notiably the camera. The official release will let the ROM developers bring that and other features into the existing custom Gingerbread releases; it won't take long before the custom ROMs again leapfdrog the official releases in increased speed, reduced battery drain and greater apps capability.

So one way or another, Rogers X10 owners will soon have access to fully-working Gingerbread.

Sony
I Plan to Stick Around

Glad to see the update! Was gonna update this thread but you beat me too it!

Anyways, do you know if I were to debrand, root to a generic firmware and flash to recieve the Gingerbread 2.3.3 update from PC Companion or SEUS. Would it still work with Rogers (my carrier) with my voice and data plan still active? I've looked through XDA forums, but I just can't find a solid answer. I've already seen some videos of it on Youtube and the update is looking great! I would be totally amazed if Rogers actually did release the update but sadly I wouldn't hold my breath, considering they have to push the Xperia Arc and Play. But if they did, it would totally amaze me (resulting in exceptional customer service).

I'm more of an official Sony Ericsson firmware user, not into some custom ROMs and etc. I like the official feel, while at times pales in performance comparisons to other custom ROMs, I'm okay with it. I'm really desperate for Adobe Flash on the browser, Apps2SD and that Wi-Fi hotspot and tethering feature (plan to go camping soon and this would be a godsend if my friends needed wifi since they only got iPods, gotta love Android for that). I plan to hold out until next week (probably Friday, going camping that weekend), so if no response from Rogers. I will most likely void my warrenty and get Gingerbread from some XDA posts.

What's your plan, if you intend to get Gingerbread (v2.3)? Unless you're content with Eclair (v2.1).

This update will save me a new phone, my wife's Samsung was looking very tempting...

Sony
I Plan to Stick Around

Same...

James
I'm a Senior Contributor
I have been watching the news very carefully on this as my X10 is on its dying legs with 2.1. It seems the global roll-out will take about a week, with most of the EU already done. I'm hoping it comes to Canada Monday, but we'll have to see. I look forward to this update as its much needed!

Sony
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm hoping for a roll out in Canada by next week as well.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully Rogers does push it out.

PS. Here's a video of Xperia X10 running Gingerbread (in Thai): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tocrS0SHYUE (the performance looks kinda sluggish, so I'm a little worried about that but everything else looks fine, especially the old TV style screen close. Really liking that!)

siuwill
I've Been Around

Hi When Rogers will release Android version 2.3 for SE Xperia 10?

sjfrhodes
I Plan to Stick Around
At the moment, the question is IF Rogers will release it, rather than WHEN.

sjfrhodes
I Plan to Stick Around
... unless someone from Rogers is able to ell us one way or the other...?

logicallayer
I've Been Here Awhile
If rogers doesnt releasr it , there are two options to deal with this.
First you go debrand your phone then u can upgrade to any version that have 2.3 (check xda developer)
2nd there is a prerooted version of 2.3 that will work on any x10 (check doomland article on xda developer)

But if rogers neglect upgrading us then it will be very frustrating considering their ignorance getting us samsung galaxy s2 and forcing LG and htc 3d on us instead.

Sony
I Plan to Stick Around

If Rogers doesn't release it (the description is very useful)

**edited for content**

Sony, about your video...

- What is the difference between the first method where you only flash the phone and do not root it?
- And after with method, will the any features not be the same or be unavailable after the upgrade?

(I'm not too knowledgable about these things, but I definitely want to be aware if in case...)

thanks

sjfrhodes
I Plan to Stick Around
Word that Rogers are going to release the update, but nothing on timing yet...

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=16122&post=72817&uid=175772339270#post72817

RobertYuna
I Plan to Stick Around

I am a Rogers customer.  Rogers released the 2.1 update last December.  It works fine but I am eager for the 2.3.

evanleibovitch
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Sony,

If you prefer to wait until the Rogers official update to Gingerbread rather than to experiment with the custom ROM installation, that's perfectly reasonable, The custom ROM installation process is fairly precise and there is much that can go wrong if it's not done exactly right. OTOH, the official upgrade will be a fairly painless procedure using SEUS.

Apparently Rogers has publicly stated that it will release an update but is not yet sure of timing. Those who are holding out for the simpler official update probably won't need to wait more than a month or so... and that's not too bad, considering the new life that the update brings to this phone.

As mentioned in another thread here, I've already done the GB upgrade using an XDA process. The new system is quite nice and works fine with Rogers 3G, even in this unofficial unbranded version. One nice thing about Rogers is that there's no extra charge or permission required to use the X10 for tethering if your data plan is for 1GB/month or more. Some other carriers levy extra charges for tethering. (If your data plan is for less than 1GB/month, check with Rogers to find out if there's extra cost for tethering.)

One other thing... while Adobe Flash works with the new version, it might not be pre-installed. You can easily get it for free from the Market but don't assume it's there.

roopster77
I've Been Here Awhile

I was advised of my update yesterday and downloaded it. Nice but a little buggy... I am reloading it to be sure it came in clean

gordmcc
I've Been Around

it lasts a few days easy. just dont use the sceen. the screen will easily take 80% of the battery life.

Is anyone having trouble updating their X10?

I just got mine yesterday (super clearance deal) and it says there is an upgrade but it won't let me proceed ... I get stuck at the 'hold the back button and plug the USB cable into the phone ' part in PC companion ...

help!

sjfrhodes
I Plan to Stick Around
Are you continuing to hold the back button till you have inserted the cable (three hands would be useful when you're not used to it!) and until the computer prompts you to let go of the back button? If so, what sort of message, if any, are you getting?

There is also another way of updating the phone, through the Sony Ericsson Update Service. I don't have a link to that off-hand, but I should be able to find it if you can't. I have noticed on the Sony Ericsson site that it often says it us for a different phone, but you don't need to worry about that - the update service won't update your phone with anything it shouldn't have.

Do let me know how you get on
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?