Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Sony Ericsson Xperia X10

You will probably start to see most droid phones getting OS updates at the end of sept/oct after all the new driod phones are released for the back to school phase.  I believe the Spica update to 2.1 is dropping at the end of this month so its just a matter of time before old devices are updated.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sony Ericsson has stated that 2.1 will be released in Q3 2010 which means either this month or next. With Sony, that usually means right near the end of the deadline, so most likely September.

There are a few videos of 2.1 running on the Xperia X10 on youtube which look pretty nice. The curved slide to unlock has been replaced with a more traditional lock screen. Other than that there don't seem to be many cosmetic changes.

The problem with the update process is that even with SE releasing 2.1 in September or even this month (not likely) is that Rogers has to be the one to actually give it the stamp of approval and roll it out. To put this into perspective, since the last update to the 020 firmware, SE has released 6 additional patches which we have not seen. We'll see how they handle a major update, but so far I'm not too optimistic.

I Plan to Stick Around

Every major update has its problems, I remember a couple with the iPhone that were usually fixed within a day or two, at first there will be some reliability issues but it should be fine.

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has zero say in the availability of iOS patches. Those are released by Apple and not through a carrier or with the carriers approval, which is the proper way to do things.

I Plan to Stick Around

Im not sure when you got the X10, but there was a patch released back in July for the X10 that helps with battery life and otherwise general performance. You can go to www.sonyericsson.com/updateservice for the latest software and updates, but be sure to back up anything you cant afford to lose. Here is a walkthrough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdlT4VHim0c for doing it right over the phone.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Last we heard from SE, the 2.1 patch should be coming in September to all X10 devices.

It is unlikely that Rogers prevent any release of this patch longer than needed since it has major updates, both on features but also battery life....especially if most people are on R2BA016 or even R2BA020 as opposed to the current R2BA026 firmware versions.

Generally, companies do not release dates (including specific months) unless they are dead certain they can make it, so I do believe 2.1 will be here sometime in Sept.
I Plan to Stick Around

My money is on SE to release it late September and for Rogers to push it out late October. Keep in mind that we never received the R2BA016 update and we received the R2BA020 update weeks after European and Asian providers.

I'm a Senior Contributor

You never recieved the 016 update? Hmm, mine came with it already installed. So you updated right to 020?

Anywho, i guess time will tell what happens with the 2.1 update. My real question is if we'll get Froyo (2.2).
I Plan to Stick Around

014 -> 020

As far as I can tell this is how it was for all Rogers devices. Perhaps SE shipped some more recent devices with 016 installed by default, but I never had the option to update to that.

SE has already stated that the X10 will be updated to 2.2 on their product blog. I'm hoping that 3.0 will also be supported. After this Google should be implementing their one major update a year scheme so it will give these phones a pretty long support life.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Its very unlikely we'll get 3.0.

Once SE gets around to getting us 2.2, it wont be until mid 2011, 3.0 i can't guess will be until late 2011 at earliest. By that time, they will push 3.0 onto their newest phones.

Rumor has it they are in late development stages of a new phone that will have 3.0 built right into it. Its a hybrid of a Samsung Galaxy and a PSP. No lie.