Somewhat odd issue with internet on my desktop.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Somewhat odd issue with internet on my desktop.

Did you enable the TRIM command?  If not, have a look at the following:

http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable-disable-ssd-trim-support-windows-7-windows-8-1/

I would think that the SSD would clean up itself on its own, but, maybe not well enough.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

It shows it as being enabled already 😞

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @jackthecompguy

Are you still having this issue? @Datalink any more suggestions? If it still hasn't been resolved, you can contact our TechXpert team at 1-866-876-8772. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Hi

Yes, I am still experiencing the issue. In fact, it just started on my laptop as well... It got to a point where it was taking so long on both computers that webpages were timing out. Rebooting the modem, router and my wireless bridge solves the issue temporarily, but within 24-48 hours of uptime its back to being slow again... I think my router (Asus AC87U) is the culprit. Any suspicions welcome

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1.  Are you using the 87U in router mode or Bridge mode?

2.  If the 87U is in router mode, are you using the Smart Connect capability?

3.  What are you using for the laptop, a 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz network?

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@jackthecompguy wrote:

Hi

Yes, I am still experiencing the issue. In fact, it just started on my laptop as well... It got to a point where it was taking so long on both computers that webpages were timing out. Rebooting the modem, router and my wireless bridge solves the issue temporarily, but within 24-48 hours of uptime its back to being slow again... I think my router (Asus AC87U) is the culprit. Any suspicions welcome

Okay, can you please give us more details about how your network is set up, including but not limited to what @Datalink asked about? What's this wireless bridge? Etc.

Also, is all network hardware that you control (including that AC87U) running the latest firmware? I know Asus (to their credit) tends to release lots of firmware updates... 

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Hi all

My config is setup like this:

Rogers Rocket Modem (CGN3ACSMR) (bridge mode) --->Asus AC87U in full router mode and I have a D-Link DAP-1650 acting as an ethernet-to-wireless AC bridge, to which the desktop is connected to and I have a couple extra ethernet cables hooked up to it for when i'm doing work on people's machines and need an ethernet drop.

The laptop is connected directly to the router via 5Ghz 802.11ac on its Intel Dual Band 7265 adaptor.

I don't know what Smart Connect utility is, so i am likely not using it. 😉

I will double check when I get home but i'm pretty sure the Asus is on the latest firmware.

Cheers guys

I Plan to Stick Around

Are you using Rogers DNS servers or Googles etc on your Asus? If you have not changed them then the default would be Rogers Servers. You could try Googles DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). 

If you wanted to rule out Windows (drivers and applications) as the issue you could try downloading a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. You can burn to DVD or to a USB drive(preferred as faster) and boot the OS fully without touching your windows install. When in the Live Linux env use Firefox to test again. 

If still slow then you know for sure it is your hardware, your router or even you modem. Have you contacted rogers to get your signal levels checked etc?

If things are faster in Linux then Windows drivers or an application like Eset etc could be the culprit.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Hi

I am using DNS from UnblockUS on the router so I can watch my US Netflix. 😛

I will download a Linux Live CD and check that, that is a good idea.

I haven't talked to Rogers about it but there is a tech coming out next week to install home phone (porting from Bell, yay!) so I can ask him to make sure everything is OK regarding the internet service.