Solve problems and turn Router/Wireless device into access modem only.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Solve problems and turn Router/Wireless device into access modem only.

@

sbenninger
I Plan to Stick Around

IE will always go to the default search page if you dont put the http:// for a valid FQDN. 

FireFox will go to its search page if you type anything other than a FQDN as will Chrome.

Perhaps Roger DNS servers are no longer "suggesting" links when you have incorrect URLs. I have not used Rogers DNS servers for quite a few years so not sure how they operate now. They may have removed that from their servers since the browsers use their own search pages now?

I know when the DNS hijacking started it played havok with our VPN clients as it would return invalid results for internal company addresses.

Either way if their DNS servers are still slow or causing timeouts for users the solution is the same. Use Different DNS servers by whatever means your router/gateway will allow.

I will test the Rogers DNS servers tonight and return my findings. (assuming my connection is better than it was last night...super high latencies after 20-30mins of usage...but that is a different topic/issue all together)

Thanks,

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok.  I just wanted to make sure, i wasnt missing something.
I am guessing, that they have removed the 'sugesting'.. last time i remember seeing it was a few years ago, back when express was like 1/2 the speed it is now.

I will not argue with the fact that the rogers DNS servers... leave ALOT to be desired.
I have never had an issue with having anything not resolve.. but slowness can be another thing.

ALL major internet devices, like desktops/laptops in my household are all using other DNS servers.  Some of the smaller stuff like phones, etc.. i have left them on the rogers.. as they are alot less critical of it.  (and obviously stuff like printers, etc i dont really care :P)

CPmike
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, sbenninger you explained this better than I could, but the point I was trying to make before getting lost in peripheral side issues, is it does not appear the Rogers gateway modem/router is relinguishing the DNS totally when you put in another DNS server, like Google.

I just turned everything but the gateway off and connected an old DIR-825, made it the DHCP and pointed the DNS to Google - suddenly I have lightning speeds and my Internet radios, one that never worked and one that required multiple reboots before it would work, now work perfectly.

It appears I have also lost the Canadian ads when I connect to my American DNS!

This confirms that contrary to the theory, that changing the Rogers gateway DNS server does nothing. I changed the Rogers modem to Google and still had device connection problems and slowness but with the 825 all the problems went away - Rogers is hijacking the DNS to force it through them,. Rogers DNS Gateway was suspcious to me - what the &^&^ is that for?

View solution in original post

panneton
I've Been Here Awhile

The Rogers combination modem/router can only be used as a bridge in the modem mode.  The route is absolutely inadequate.  Worse, networks do not function properly when this modem bridge is used.  Due to structural steel and a stereo system in the house, we had to convert everything to Airport Express with Apple.  While things are better still not great with networking issues.  Technician advised us to get a dedicated modem and Rogers does not offer this.  When I contacted Rogers to get technical specifications on the Rogers modem/router, Rogers could not give me any support.  This is outrageous to sell  a product with no technical specification resource to the end user.  Will be looking for another internet provide that knows what they are doing!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you give us a little information, we may be able to help figure out whats wrong.

EG: there is a bug with one of the current models, which there is a firmware which can be pushed to it currently, before the global release.

I am not sure what your issue is, but there are MANY users on here, who do use the unit in bridge mode, with 3rd party routers (ranging from BASIC cheap ones, to high end ASUS ones), without issues. (people on the 250 package, getting 320 speeds on wired... wireless.. usually pretty good (will vary based on which router they do end up using, the hardware on the receiving side, etc)

When the unit is in bridged mode, it has all networking off, is is a MODEM only.

If you would like, with a little more information, people here may be able to help you with other things to improve quality.
EG: Structured steel building will KILL wireless signal, and placement is key. Location of either the rogers wireless or the 3rd party router will make a big difference.  QUALITY of the router, is key too.  Airport express... is a VERY basic wireless router part.. its range is VERY limited as well, likely not that much different.  All in all, just period due to the house, etc.. a higher quality transmiter on the wireless is required.